Highlighted
Community Manager

Vegan Recipes

Hi Lidlers,

Some of you recently started up a conversation regarding vegan recipes and we thought it would be great to collate all the different suggestions under one roof Smiley Happy

Please respond to this thread with vegan recipes below and do let us know if you'll be trying any Smiley Happy 

Best wishes,

My Lidl team

My Lidl Team
Respected Contributor

Re: Vegan Recipes

Great idea @Lidl thank you.  Will look out  some recipes to add. 

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!

Super Lidler of Class 2016
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my son first came back to the UK he had to get work and earn some money so his food cupboards were never very full but he always had his herbs, spices, pasta and the basics as well as plenty of veg.

I went to have lunch with him one day, expecting to have to take him out to get him a meal but he served up a Vegan Garlic Pasta meal that was delicious and is now a very popular meal in my house.

He got it from someone in Panama and the garlic stopped things biting him, so in his opinion it was well worth it.

So I've dug out the exact recipe he sent me and I'll post it for anyone who fancies trying it because even as meat eaters we can try something different and personally I can take or leave my meat etc.

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Respected Contributor

VEGAN GARLIC PASTA RECIPE  serves 3/4 people 

Ingredients

• 3 cups (450 g) grape tomatoes, halved
  • 10 ounces (283 g) whole wheat pasta (such as Penne, Linguini or Fettuccine | Use less if you want a higher sauceSmiley Tongueasta ratio)
  • Olive oil
  • 2 medium shallots, diced (1/4 cup or 40 g)
  • 8 large cloves garlic, minced/grated (1/4 cup or 24 g)
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • 3-4 Tbsp (25-33 g) unbleached all purpose flour (or another thickener of choice)
  • 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) unsweetened plain almond milk  (or substitute up to 1 cup with veggie stock, if preferred)

Method

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and toss tomatoes in a bit of olive oil and sea salt.  Place cut side up on a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the dish. Then set aside.
  2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. When done, drain, cover and set aside.
  3. In the meantime, prepare the sauce. In a large frying pan or skillet, over medium-low heat, add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil and the garlic and shallot. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and stir frequently, cooking for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant.
  4. Stir in 3-4 Tbsp flour (or other thickener of choice ) and mix with a whisk. Once combined, slowly whisk in the almond milk a little at a time so clumps don't form. Add another pinch of salt and black pepper, bring to a simmer and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes to thicken. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. (Optional: You can also add some vegan Parmesan for extra flavor at this time if you wish.)
  5. If you want an ultra creamy sauce, transfer sauce to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Place back in pan and reduce heat to a low simmer until desired thickness is reached.
  6. Once the sauce is to your desired thickness, taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Then add pasta and roasted tomatoes and stir.
  7. Serve immediately and garnish with extra black pepper, fresh basil and/or vegan Parmesan cheese.

This is delicious served with Broccoli and we had a cool glass of white wine with ours when I first had it, a delicious Chardonnay I believe Smiley Happy

The whole meal took about 30 minutes so its a really tasty, quick meal for any occasion especially if you have visitors Smiley Happy

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Trusted Contributor

I'll kick off with this one, I posted this last year but as it's vegan I'll pop it in again... will post others as I get time.

Vegetable Cous Cous

This recipe is about 20 years old - we first ate it at a little restaurant in St. Malo in France. It was so delicious we ananlysed the ingredients and the method and it has stayed with us ever since.

1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 rounded tsp dried powdered ginger
3 x bay leaves
1and a half heaped tsp of whole cumin seeds
4x dried red chillies (or a little chilli powder)
8 medium cloves garlic
1-2 tsp Harissa paste* (optional see below)
4 heaped tbsp tomato puree
2 tins chickpeas - drained
3 courgettes halved up the middle and cut into 1inch chunks
3 large carrots cut same as courgettes
3 medium or 2 large potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
1 veg stock cube

* A traditional Morrocan paste, made from powdered ginger, cumin and red chillies, if you don't have/can't get this then using the ginger, chillies and cumin as already listed will be fine. We add a little Harissa on top as it's very intense in flavour.

1. Put the carrots and potatoes in a bowl and cover with cold water and microwave on high for 10-15 mins (or saucepan on stove) potatoes need to be just still slightly firm - DO NOT COOK UNTIL MUSHY, KEEP THE COOKING WATER

2. Heat the oil in a heavy pot and add the tomato puree, ginger, bay leaves cumin and chillies.

3. Fry this until it forms a cooked paste - see pic.

4. Tip the carrots and potatoes and most of the cooking water and veg stock cube into the paste mixture, along with courgettes and chickpeas.

5. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and allow to simmer gently 20-40 minutes, but keep checking it - it's done when the carrots and courgettes are just tender.

Serve with plain cous couscous, 
I cook cous cous  like this for 2 portions

Medium cous cous - see pic or any other make

Fill a mug or glass with cous cous and put into small saucepan
Fill same container with equal amount of boiling water and tip into cous cous, quick stir
Put lid on saucepan and leave for 5 mins - no heat, then stir with a fork to fluff it up and separate the grains - should be just moist - not soggy, it needs to be able to absorb the liquid from the rest of the dish when you serve it.

Serve with a few olives and also a few shredded preserved lemons, which are delicious with this. They look glamorous but are dead easy-I'll post instructions for these at another time.

The finished dish..

PICT2040.JPG

Respected Contributor

That looks lovely @homebaker will try this sometime, thank you.   

Respected Contributor

This is a very easy Vegan cream cheese.  

175g tofu,  50g cocnut oil ( melted) 

1 tbsp rapeseed oil,  1tbsp lime juice 

1 tbsp agave syrup,  2 tsp salt  

Place all ingrediants in a food processor or liquidizer and combine well. 

Transfer the mixture to a glass jar, store in the fridge and use as required. It will keep for up to 1 week. 

Resembling ricotta, this cheese is good on toast with jam.  Can also be eaten as a savoury -  rolled into balls and dipped in herbs, cracked peppercorns or seaweed flakes. 

Sorry, do not have a photo of this one. 

Trusted Contributor

Aubergine and Chickpea Curry

1large or 2 small aubergines
1 x tin chickpeas drained
1 medium onion
Thumb sized piece of ginger
2-4 cloves garlic
1-2 tbsp good quality mild aromatic Madras curry powder (East End is a good one, or grind your own)
2-3 tsp Garam Masala
1 large Green Chilli (or more if you like!)
1-2 Tins of tomatoes
Large handful of fresh coriander
1-2 tbsp Cold pressed coconut oil (the cold pressed varieties have more of a distinct coconut flavour which really makes a difference to the curry)
1 tsp Asafoetida (optional)

Slice and dice the Aubergines
Slice and deseed the chilli and chop
Chop the onion, ginger and garlic.
Mix the curry powder to a paste with a little water.

Heat the coconut oil in a large pan
Add the chopped onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and soften for 2-3 minutes
Tip in the curry paste and fry it all well (it's a good sign if the paste starts to separate a little from the oil
but don't let it burn)
Add the Asafoetida if using it and the Aubergines and Chick peas.
Turn it all about in the pan until well coated and the Aubergine starts to soften.
Add the tomatoes and some extra water or another tin of tomatoes if you like.
Add the fresh Coriander.

Turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Serve with Basmati rice and chappatis

Like all curries this freezes well and is actually better for a spell in the freezer and reheated.

Trusted Contributor

Vegan Chilli

1x bag of soya mince or soya chunks

(Note - Quorn mince products are NOT Vegan because it has egg white in it, so check ingredients on your mince, but.. if you are cooking for dedicated vegans then it's wise to ask them if they do eat meat substitute products at all as many  feel strongly about eating this kind of fake meat. If so then leave out the mince and just use the beans, it's just as nice.

2x tins of red kidney beans

2x tins of black beans
(not black eyed beans, I buy them from our nearest asian grocers and use these along with red kidney beans)
2x tins of tomatoes
2-3 heaped tbsp tomato puree
200-300ml water or lager
1 lime (this makes a real difference and a lemon won't do)
1 heaped tbsp marmite
1 scotch bonnet chilli ideally or use other chillies if you don't have these
4 Smoked chipotles (dried smoked jalapeno peppers - i've never been able to get these so I use smoked paprika instead)
1or 2 green chillies
2-3 medium onions
5 tbsp cornmeal
4 tbsp chopped garlic
3 tbsp ordinary paprika
1-2 tsp smoked paprika
3 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp oregano
2-3 bay leaves
Black pepper
olive oil (about a cup full)

Chop the Scotch bonnet and 1 green chilli
Chop the onions and chop the tinned tomatoes
Squeeze the juice from the lime.
Now put everything in to one heavy pan (I use a cast iron pot) and bring to the boil. Now turn the heat down and
cook very gently for 3 hours min, I put my pot in a low oven or on the hotplate of our woodburner and leave it for the afternoon, stirring occasionally.

It's done when everything is all nice and soft and bubbly and almost stuck to the bottom of the pot!

Serve with - rice, corn tortillas, guacamole and sour cream if you want the full works.

Freezes really well.

Respected Contributor

Smoky bean & Red Pepper casserole 

1 x 220g pack Cauldron Organic Beech smoked Tofu, cut in thin strips 

1 red pepper 

2 tbsp olive oil 

2 tbsp Tamari or soy sauce 

85g sliced mushrooms 

3 x 420g cans cannelloni,  or haricot beans ( including liquid ) 

1 tsp wholegrain mustard 

Ground nutmeg

200g fresh spinach,  well rinsed

Ground black pepper

Pre- heat grill on hot. Grill red pepper until skin begins to blacken. Place in a plastic bag and peel when cool. Cut into strips.  

Heat oil in frying pan, add tofu and stir for 1 minute.  Add 1 tbsp tamari/ soy sauce and cook until crisp and brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.  

Heat remaining oil,  add  mushrooms and remaining tamari.  Saute' for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from pan and set aside.  

Empty the beans ( including liquid ) into the pan. Add nutmeg, pepper and mustard.  Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes,  stirring frequently,  to half reduce the liquid.  

Add spinach and red pepper, and cook for a further 3 minutes until the spinach has wilted.  

Serve with hot crisp tofu and mushrooms on top. 

Can be served with,  rice , pasta or mixed salad.