Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Tagliatelle/ham/carbonara

[ Edited ]

From Lidl. 2 medium onions, 1/2 pack mushrooms/300gramme ham trimmings (100 gramme left for pea and ham soup)  Other sources - 200 grammes (1/2 a pack) fresh tagliatelle, you can used dried or macaroni/penne. 350 gramme tub carbona, got it in Lidl before, Italian week? None this week. Chop as illustrated. Fry onion, when soft add mushrooms, meanwhile fill a large pan boiling/oiled /salted water cook pasta as directed on pack. Add carbonara sauce to vegetables when hot stir in ham trimmings. Drain pasta. Serve or mix together in the pan and serve, a few cherry tomatoes won't go adrift. If you have seen similar before tarantula is acting as my complaints advisor.  @harryflatters@Tarantula@Stixxee20170210_155011.JPG

Valued Contributor

Re: Tagliatelle/ham/carbonara

sounds good I've always fancied that but never got around to making it, tub of carbonara is a good idea to try out & then if I liked it I could have a little go at making my own.

We're never gonna survive, unless,we get a Lidl crazy
please come back Lidl RED you are missed, especially by me!
Trusted Contributor

Sounds good and looks good @Tombola we are very fond of that dish with tagliatelle.  swmbo also does a wonderful languine dish with green pesto, cherry tomatoes, 1 shallot finely chopped, 3 finely chopped sweet pickled red peppers, finely diced chorizo and/or bacon with grated parmesan on top to finish - lovely!

Frequent Contributor

That pack of ham trimmings at a full Scottish pound in weight is very good value at £1.35 ?, ( the supplier is Scottish, hence weighed in S/pounds) other pounds are available, English pounds, compounds. @Nessie@Stixxee@harryflatters

Frequent Contributor

To be honest its cheaper to buy ready made, unless you live in the back of beyond and only have McColl. But it can be frozen. @Nessie

Trusted Contributor

Not fair. Hungry @Tombola@harryflatters@Nessie

Rage and Love
Valued Contributor

I find the carbonara sauce in the tub rather rich. With all those lovely ingredients you show in the picture I personally would omit the carbonara and make a plain white sauce and add to the other ingredients and adjust the seasoning to our liking. The carbonara sauce out of the tub always has a slightly smoky and sour taste to me, only used it once. Horses for courses,@Tombola
Frequent Contributor

Just you stick to your archieing. Duties and leave the recipes to me. @Tarantula

Respected Contributor

Sounds like my kind of thing. Thanks for the recipe @Tombola

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tombola If you turn the tub round so we can only see the back of it does that mean you didn't get it from Tesco? (How did it compare with the Italian week carbonara sauce from Lidl or did you miss out on that one?) ( And what's that Aldi label on the olive oil? )

The tin that is creeping on to the right hand side of the picture looks nice.  Wonder what you keep in there? Hmmm. No idea. Unless you refill it with gravy granules. That would be novel I guess.

despite these observations was the finished product nice and did you take a photo?  Did the cherry tomatoes feature or did they actually go adrift?

When we occasionally have carbonara style pasta I sometimes use smoked cheddar cheese and cream to make a sauce, might make it next week now. The Lidl community provide such inspiration and good ideas for feeding the brood . Thanks Lidlers. @tommiesgirl@Tarantula@harryflatters@Nessie@harryflatters

by the way, looking forward to the pea and ham soup update @Tombola 😀

Rage and Love