Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stovies, a great way to use leftover meat

Highlighted
Anonymous
N/A

Stovies, a great way to use leftover meat

This is a great dish to use up leftovers from a roast, I use lamb, but  you can use what you have, up here I believe it varies from region to region, some folk use beef or pork or chicken or mince or sausages, don't fancy any of those myself so this is my version using roast lamb

Ingredients:

some cooked lamb leave the fat on

onions

potatoes

beef or lamb stock cube (optional)

salt and pepper to your own taste

I haven't put a set amount because it will vary every time depending on how much meat you have left to play with.I do mine by eye and use roughly the same amount of each ingredient, you can add a little more of the potatoes to make it go further if you want to,but you will definitely need a stock cube then for some more flavour as some potatoes can be very bland these days

Chop up everything into small dice, add potatoes and onions to a pan cover with water, add a crumbled stock cube if you are using & your seasoning,bring to the boil and simmer for a while, keep checking to see if the onions & potatoes are nearly cooked and then add the diced meat to the pan, cook for another 5 minutes then remove from the heat .

What I do then is drain off the liquid  (keeping for another time) mash and serve in a bowl, occasionally topping with a little grated cheese

If you want you can serve on a plate with some more veggies to stretch out the meal for more people,but although it doesn't look very much, it's actually very filling indeed.

Some people prefer to leave the liquid in,thicken it into a gravy & serve it without mashing.but I don't like it that way

Now if you happen to have any left you can use as a pasty filling for dinner or tea the next day and if you saved the liquid you can make a gravy to go with that too.

IMG1791A.jpgIMG1792A.jpgIMG1795A.jpg

12 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Stovies, a great way to use leftover meat

Stories, a traditional SCOTTISH dish, very nice photos, did you find them on the web. Only joking. !!! @Nessie

Anonymous
N/A

Tombola wrote:

Stories, a traditional SCOTTISH dish, very nice photos, did you find them on the web. Only joking. !!! @Nessie

StoVies not Stories @Tombola  and no I took them in my kitchen Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

That's the computer auto correct as stovie is not a recognized word. @Nessie

Trusted Contributor

That's his excuse @Nessie - I reckon it's the Hortus!! @Tombola Smiley Very Happy food sounds good I have to say!

Respected Contributor

@Nessie that sounds lovely and it is easy enough to do as well. It makes a change to do something different with leftovers sometimes. Thank you for the idea x

Me thinks @Tombola is heading for some severe punishments with his behaviour, what do you think @Nessie.?  Smiley Happy

I thought of a special course of action for him @Nessie, We could tie @Tombola down on the top of a hill, not one of the beautiful ones we don't want to spoil the view.

I think we should leave him there in his undies for 48 hours so he appreciates what he has in his better half  while learning respect for us too.

Any other ideas @Nessie@Jade@Barb@mrsblazer@Stixxee ? Smiley Happy ? Smiley Happy

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Trusted Contributor

You can get suspendered for undy posting. @tommiesgirl@Nessie@harryflatters

Respected Contributor

I haven't taken them away @Tombola, but I tell you what you can keep your socks on x Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I laughed at that @tommiesgirl

I can think of worse punishments for our @Tombola 😂😂

Rage and Love
Respected Contributor

My kinda Gal!!