Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spaghetti & meatballs an easy and economical Saturday night tea

Highlighted
Anonymous
N/A

Spaghetti & meatballs an easy and economical Saturday night tea

made these for tea today, I have made them only once before and made the meatballs too big, so this time I cut the size down and they were lots better 

I make Nigella's sauce to go with them, just a slight tweak on some of the ingredients:

.I leave out the parmesan out of the meatballs, I used garlic paste from a tube (just ran out of cloves) and I use oats instead of breadcrumbs.

I used  2 x 400g tins of plum toms instead of the passata, ( I just push them through a sieve to get rid of the any stalk and seeds,they can be put out for the birds

To the sauce I add a pinch of chili powder, a pinch of cinnamon & a pinch of paprika  just to add a little spicy background flavour, it's not really noticeable, it's like you know there's something there but it's not hot or unpleasant, just tasty & I put this in the pan at the beginning with the blitzed onion and garlic. 

so here's the original recipe and method taken from the website

FOR THE MEATBALLS

• 250 grams minced pork
  • 250 grams minced beef
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
  • 1 clove garlic (minced)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3 tablespoons semolina or breadcrumbs
  • good grinding black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt

TOMATO SAUCE

• 1 onion
  • 2 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp olive oil, (not extra-virgin)
  • 700 g tomato passata
  • 1 pinch sugar
  • 1 pinch of salt and black pepper
  • 100 ml full-fat milk

To make the tomato sauce, put the onion, garlic and oregano into the process and blitz to a pulp.

4. Heat the butter and oil in a deep wide pan, then scrape the onion-garlic mix into it and cook over a low-medium for about 10 minutes. Don't let the mixture catch, just let it become soft.

5. Add the bottle of passata and then fill the empty bottle half full with cold water. Add this to the pan with the pinch of sugar, some salt and pepper, and cook for about 10 minutes. The tomato sauce will appear thin at this stage, but don't worry as it will thicken a little later.

6. Stir in the milk, and then drop the meatballs in one by one. Don't stir the pan until the meatballs have turned from pink to brown as you don't want to break them up.

7. Cook everything for about 20 minutes, with the lid only partially covering it. At the end of cooking time, check the seasoning as you may want more salt and a grind or two more of pepper.

Here's a few pics of mine,I cooked some spaghetti and then served it all in a bowl for easy eating with some red leicester grated on the top, that wasn't in the recipe but we love it and it's altogether delish.

I used strathvale beef mince,eversfield organic pork sausagemeat(from my hamper win) freshona tinned toms & tom puree,simply spaghetti, herbs from my spice rack,some lazy garlic,hamlyn porridge oats,local free range egg and heritage red leicester cheese. I think that's it, oh no the butter and milk are both  from  grahams family dairy. It made quite a lot so I've frozen the leftovers seperately for another time yay!

IMG1777A.jpg IMG1779A.jpgIMG1781A.jpg

14 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Spaghetti & meatballs an easy and economical Saturday night tea

I'll just get in a shot of my Le crueset casserole to rub it in that tombola dropped theirs and broke the lid, then did it again, kitchen floor is stone, only one in the house. So replacement from every little helps £15.00 -  reduced to clear. @Nessie

Anonymous
N/A

Tombola wrote:

I'll just get in a shot of my Le crueset casserole to rub it in that tombola dropped theirs and broke the lid, then did it again, kitchen floor is stone, only one in the house. So replacement from every little helps £15.00 -  reduced to clear. @Nessie

Woman LOL  I didn't know you'd broken one @Tombola  I'd do the same if I broke this one too as it was a competition win,I couldn't afford their cookware as much as I admire it !

Anonymous
N/A

in fact @Tombola if you ever see anything posh/classy/expensive in any of my photos it's almost guaranteed that I've won it  Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

Somewhere around York there's an outlet village where you can buy branded surplus, that's where we got them, but we have been known to splash out, well I say we, but ----     @Nessie @Tarantula

Respected Contributor

Regardless of what dish it's in @Nessie the recipe is straightforward enough and your photos make me want to get a fork out and dig in Smiley Happy

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Respected Contributor

Looks delicious @Nessie. Spaghetti and meatballs is both our granddaughters favourite meal, I may try your recipe as I use the Hairy Bikers one and that too is delicious. Will put it on here later when I have  time.

Anonymous
N/A

i

mrsblazer wrote:

Looks delicious @Nessie. Spaghetti and meatballs is both our granddaughters favourite meal, I may try your recipe as I use the Hairy Bikers one and that too is delicious. Will put it on here later when I have  time.

it is yummy and so simple,  I think I made 43 meatballs yesterday in total, each one was about a tsp of the meat mix but I didn't have 250g of each meat as it says in the recipe,  I only had 180g of mince so I matched the pork sausage meat with that so as to be equal so I had 360g instead of 500g of meat, but it still goes a long way!

Trusted Contributor

We LOVE spaghetti and meatballs and that looks a super recipe @Nessie . swmbo does make her own sometimes but lately we have found the best beef meatballs from Lidl are a pretty good substitute if we are feeling lazy (i.e. quite often these days!!).  Those Le Creuset pots and pans are way too heavy for swmbo to lift so we have never gone for those.  Just as well when you see the price of them!! Smiley Very Happy @mrsblazer @tommiesgirl @Tombola

Anonymous
N/A

harryflatters wrote:

We LOVE spaghetti and meatballs and that looks a super recipe @Nessie . swmbo does make her own sometimes but lately we have found the best beef meatballs from Lidl are a pretty good substitute if we are feeling lazy (i.e. quite often these days!!).  Those Le Creuset pots and pans are way too heavy for swmbo to lift so we have never gone for those.  Just as well when you see the price of them!! Smiley Very Happy @mrsblazer @tommiesgirl @Tombola

they are heavy and very expensive , this just a small one really but it's still quite hefty