Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Simple Rhubarb Jam Recipe (66% fruit)

Ingredients needed

1. Rhubarb, 4lbs (1.8kg), washed and with stringy bits removed
  2. Granulated sugar, 2lbs (0.9kg)
  3. Juice of two lemons

Method

1. Cut the rhubarb into 1in (2.5cm) cubes, place in a bowl, sprinkle with the sugar, cover and leave overnight.
  2. Next day sterilise jam jars in boiling water.
  3. Put the rhubarb and sugar in a pan and add the lemon juice.
  4. Put on a gentle heat and stir to prevent burning until all the sugar has dissolved.
  5. Turn up the heat; continuing to stir, boil for 15 mins.
  6. Pour into jars, seal with lids and leave to cool.
  7. Jars can be stored for many months, but once opened should be kept in a fridge.
If you waste your time talking to the people who don’t listen, then join our forum
14 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Simple Rhubarb Jam Recipe (66% fruit)

Make sure you eat this after 11 and before 7, to maintain you strict dietary requirements. @RMW2016@Stixxee

Valued Contributor

Vladimir wrote:

Make sure you eat this after 11 and before 7, to maintain you strict dietary requirements. @RMW2016@Stixxee

@Vladimir OK Smiley Happy Iv'e not got much left and can't make anymore until the Rhubarb is ripe in July. Might add ginger as that's nice too.Heart

If you waste your time talking to the people who don’t listen, then join our forum
Trusted Contributor

Sounds like a very good laxative, that reminds me, I must go up the garden and check my rhubarb crowns. They are under cover under big upturned flowerpots.
Valued Contributor

RMW2016 wrote:
Sounds like a very good laxative, that reminds me, I must go up the garden and check my rhubarb crowns. They are under cover under big upturned flowerpots.

@RMW2016 I put muck on mine, but I didn't know it has a laxative effect on people, but... it might help my diet.Smiley Frustrated

Trusted Contributor

Keep them covered till the really mild weather in 2017. Red deer munched wildly at mine, I thought they would be safe uncovered during the day between 11and 7. @RMW2016

Trusted Contributor

No problem with Red Deer in my corner of Birmingham, only wily foxes and the odd lousy rat. @Vladimir

Shall feed the rhubarb with some first class Horse Manure , have run out of Bull Sh..e. Get the Horse stuff from Marshall's, a big bucket lasts all year and the rhubarb is always tasty. I just thought, this should be in our small garden section.
Trusted Contributor

Deleted, I am such a horrid person. @RMW2016@mrsblazer@tommiesgirl

Trusted Contributor

RMW2016 wrote:
I must go up the garden and check my rhubarb crowns. They are under cover under big upturned flowerpots.

Don't force yourself.

Respected Contributor

I haven't made Rhubarb Jam before @BigAll but I love Rhubarb so I'll be giving this one a try for definite.

Thank you @BigAll
If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016