cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your best local dishes with My Lidl

Community Manager

Share your best local dishes with My Lidl

Hi Lidlers,

We’re looking forward to enjoying some home-grown favourites at Lidl this week, with offers in store from Thursday.

We’ve been so impressed by the recipes you Lidlers share and would love to see what you can cook up in terms of your very best local dishes.

Share your recipes, and any pictures you might have of your dish, in the comments below.

Best Wishes,

My Lidl Team
8 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: Share your best local dishes with My Lidl

Not much of a 'cook up' but just had it for lunch!  Fresh Cromer crab spread on a halved and buttered warm baguette, sprinkled with a small amount of ground black pepper and just a few capers - doesn't get better than that!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Being from the Westcountry our main local dish in our home would have to be pasties, although I try to limit them to once a month because they are not good for you if you eat them all the time like my lot would. Smiley Happy

There is always a difference of opinion on the best pasty, those made in Devon or those made in Cornwall. I am Devonshire born and bred ,so obviously you can guess my opinion.

The best pasty I have ever had is made by my Auntie, @louloubelles Mum. she makes them the size of a steak plate and although I said mine was far to big to eat in one go I couldn't stop when I started Smiley Happy

They're amazing and she makes them every week, so if I lived nearer to her I'd be there every week and be as big as a house Smiley Happy

For the best pasty the pastry has to be made from scratch, rolled out so its not too thick (mine often crack when I take them out of the oven Smiley Sad  ) . The filling consists of potatoes, swede, onion, diced beef (not minced). I always cook the ingredients in gravy before I put them in the pastry so everything melts in the mouth.

The gravy seeps into the ingredients so they are not dry when cooked in the pastry. The pastry should melt when you bite into it and the ingredients inside should be soft with the meat having a delicious beefy flavour still.

DEVON PASTIESDEVON PASTIES

You can't go wrong with home made scones and jam if you are in the Westcountry. @Barb will agree you must have clotted cream with them too.

This is my usual Scone recipe. There is also a debate about how to eat a scone. The Devon way which is cream before jam or the Cornish way which is jam before cream.

Personally, the Cornish way is best and although that sounds like treason, my Mum was born in Cornwall Smiley Happy

SCONES - Pre-heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/ Gas 7 

Ingredients

• 350g Self-Raising Flour, plus more for dusting 
  • ¼ tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder 
  • 85g Butter, cut into cubes while cold
  • 3 tbsp Caster Sugar
  • 175ml Milk 
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • squeeze Lemon juice 
  • 1 beaten Egg for glazing
Method
1) Put the flour into a large bowl with the salt and baking powder, then mix. Add the butter, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
2) Heat the milk but do not let it boil. I usually put mine in a jug and heat it in the microwave for about 30 secs until warm. Add the vanilla and lemon juice (the lemon juice helps the scones to rise), then set aside for a moment. Put a baking sheet in the oven.
3) Make a well in the dry mixture, then add the liquid and combine it quickly with a ordinary cutlery knife – it will seem pretty wet at first but it does not stay like that.
4)  Scatter some flour onto the surface ready to roll out the dough mix.and tip the dough. Cover your hands with some flour and also sprinkle some over the dough. Fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a smoother. Pat into a round shape, about 4cm deep or roll out with a rolling pin.
5) Use a smooth edged cutter or something to shape of your scones (I use my husbands' whisky glass) and dip it into some flour. If the scones are around 5cm in diameter you should get about 8 out of this mixture.then repeat until you have four scones.
6) Brush the tops with the beaten egg, then carefully place onto the hot baking tray in the oven.
7) Bake for about10 mins until the scones have risen and gonr a golden colour on the top.

These scones can be eaten warm or cold on the day of baking. They can also be frozen once they have cooled down completely.
When you defrost them, put in a low oven (about 160C/fan140C/gas 3) for a few mins to refresh.

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it
Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017
Trusted Contributor

Yum yum 😋 @tommiesgirl

Rage and Love
Respected Contributor

Oh goodness me @tommiesgirl I would love to have your pasties - they sound absulutely delicious - I could have one of those for lunch and then one of your home made scone Devon cream teas!  If it's good enough for you, it'll do for me so jam on first it will be!! Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@harryflatters My husband often takes a pasty to work and all his mates moan about not having one. If I order anything from his firm they question if its one of my baking days and then they end up having to draw straws because they argue about who will do my delivery Smiley Happy

When we lived in our old house we called in a firm to paint the outside. We were told it would take 3 men 2 weeks to complete. It actually took 4 weeks in the end and 5 men. The reason for the delays was apparently because I baked and fed them each day. It wasn't always pasties, it varied I made pies, quiches, sandwiches with home made bread, home-made soup with crusty home-made bread etc. and I always made cakes, buns,rock cakes, scones as well Smiley Happy

I was lucky really because the council were decorating the council houses in the street at the same time as my house being painted, when they stopped for lunch they often asked my painters what they were eating because they could smell my cooking.

I have stopped baking for workmen now, the work takes too long to get done. I just make them something to take with them on the last day now Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

lou.s lamb hotpot.I buy lidl frozen chops .line a huge deep dish layer on top with sliced potato and onion pour gravy granules and water salt and pepper and oxo cube cover with foil bake on a very low heat for 5 hours then remove foil to brown off potatoes .serve with fresh sliced green beans and fresh carrots .followed by a dish of home made rice pudding mmmmmmmmmmm
Respected Contributor

I have been to @louloubelle's house when she cooked her delicious lamb chops meal for me, I can tell you it is so lovely.

I don't think there are enough words to explain how tasty and amazing the flavours are.

@louloubelle has always got a house full of people. Some pop in and out, there are adults and children but when @louloubelle dishes up her meals everyone wants a seat at her table Smiley Happy

Its not fancy food, @louloubelle just makes good wholesome tasting home cooking. I remember always having this kind of meals when I was small. This kind of cooking and meals were put on the table when we visited anyone on a Sunday.

Everyone was made to feel welcome and the food was stretched as far as possible to make sure everyone had enough to eat.

My Mum was like @louloubelle I remember getting extra stools and chairs out for last minute visitors too. Smiley Happy

@louloubelle also makes home-made rice pudding, its not something I eat, but my Dad and Hubby love it because its made from fresh ingredients. She doesn't just buy her rice in tins, @louloubelle always makes it proper Devonshire creamy Smiley Happy

Even my Dad went to have dinner with @louloubelle, when I was in Scotland on holiday. He rang me to say how wonderful his meal was and how he enjoyed every mouthful. Dad also said her cooking was just like his Mums cooking, when she was alive. Great praise from a man of 80, it brought back so many happy memories for him. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

well what can I say tommies girl .you do lovely baking too my favourites are the delicious fruit cake and delicious mince pies I remember christmas you sent out a tray full and yes guys I ate every one the very first evening I was only dissappointed when I went for the 13th there was none left lol my face must have looked a picture .I think our grandmother would of been proud of us don't you think .I loved her stew on a Saturday when it was hair dressing day my mum used to do my grandma's .my great aunts hair wash and set for the local social club the Saturday evening us kids all Sat around the dinner table for stew n dumplings or plate pasty. I remember going up past every morning on way to school for a crust of bread with jam or butter wasn't allowed both I always got the thickest crust haha