Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scotlandshire Nessiewaffleyoatcake thingies

Highlighted
Anonymous
N/A

Scotlandshire Nessiewaffleyoatcake thingies

I hunted out the original recipe for Staffordshire Oatcakes online to make as I can't buy them here (except online & they are a more expensive to buy that way) the website no longer exists so I can't give you the recipe, sorry, mine is an adapted version as I've changed some of the ingredients,I also leave the salt out because I did it by accident one day and found I liked them better like that so stuck with it, you might say they are bland without it so it's up to you.Instead of cooking them in a frying pan I now cook them in a waffle maker, I find it's a lot it's easier for me. 

I like to make a big batch and freeze some so this is my recipe it makes approx 30 but that depends on the size you make and the consistency of your batter

300g  SR OR rye flour OR a mix of both (rye makes the mix a little heavier and not so easy to turn over without breaking if you're cooking them in a frying pan)

300g  Oatmeal  or  porridge oats whizzed up in a blender to make oatmeal

500ml warm water & 500ml milk (I've now subbed this for homemade oat milk)

3tsp sugar

3tsp dried yeast (I use allisons for hand baking)

3 tsp oil ( I use coconut but veg or sunflower oil is fine)

(optional 3tsp salt)

Some extra warm milk & water to add after proving, the amount varies to get the right consistency, start with 150ml mixed  adding and mixing gradually and go from there until you get a pancake like batter 

Method 

mix milk, water yeast & sugar & put in warm place to froth for about 15 mins

then,add oatmeal flour, oil and mix well & put back into a warm place for about an hour to prove up

then add oil & salt if your using and mix well 

add your extra liquid ,mixing in until you've got a pourable, liquid pancake like batter

heat up your waffle irons, I have both of mine set on maximum heat

Pour roughly a ladle of your batter mix into the center of the bottom plate of the waffle iron then spread out evenly and close the lid, they only take a couple of minutes as they cook on boh sides at once. I have both of my waffle irons on the max heat settings.

Cool on wire rack then ,stack, bag and  freeze or put them in the fridge where they'll keep well for at least a week (so I'm told they never last that long here, they get gobbled up)

makes around 28 -30 depending on how big your ladle & waffle irons are the thickness of your batter. 

I use a double waffle maker and a single so I can cook 3 at a time it's saves such a lot of time and is better than standing over a frying pan when you've got a big batch to do, I can get other things done in the kitchen while they cook. The double ones are slightly smaller waffles than my single but that makes no odds to me Woman Very Happy

26 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Scotlandshire Nessiewaffleyoatcake thingies

Oh wow @Nessie they look so impressive, you clever lady you. X

All good things come in Lidl packages

We want Red, we want Red,
Ee Aye addio, we want Red (back)
Anonymous
N/A

they are very simple really @Barb  honestly,I can only do easy things

Trusted Contributor

Ah @Nessie some of the things you do I think are amazing X

All good things come in Lidl packages

We want Red, we want Red,
Ee Aye addio, we want Red (back)
Trusted Contributor

You underestimate yourself, @Nessie!  The difficult bit, for me, is the thinking beforehand.  And the shoppage.  Many a time I've come back from Lidl with lots of food, but nothing that would make a meal!

Anonymous
N/A

Duchess wrote:

You underestimate yourself, @Nessie!  The difficult bit, for me, is the thinking beforehand.  And the shoppage.  Many a time I've come back from Lidl with lots of food, but nothing that would make a meal!

I do that all the time too @Duchess not so much at Lidl as I can find what I want most of the time but big stores and online I'm hopeless!

Trusted Contributor

Write a book @Nessie they are ace

Lidl should use these in their brochure.

Rage and Love
Anonymous
N/A

Stixxee wrote:

Write a book @Nessie they are ace

Lidl should use these in their brochure.

no I wouldn't want that but thank you Stixxee x

Trusted Contributor

No worries @Nessie x 😀

Rage and Love
Valued Contributor

I could write a foreword poem for the book, I'm good at waffle. @Stixxee@Nessie