Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parmo

SOLVED
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Parmo

A fast-food fix in Teesside means only one thing – deep-fried breaded chicken slathered with béchamel sauce and melted cheese and served with chips and garnish.Smiley HappyHeart

Serves four 

For the béchamel sauce:

5 tbsp butter

4 tbsp all-purpose flour

1l (1¾ pints) milk

½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg

4 chicken fillets

1 egg

150g (5½oz) breadcrumbs

approx 1.5l (2¾ pints) vegetable oil, for frying

110g (4oz) cheddar cheese

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat. Add the flour and stir continuously until smooth. Heat the milk in a separate pan until it is just about to boil. Gradually add this to the butter and flour mixture, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Season with 2 tsp salt and the nutmeg. Scrunch up a piece of greaseproof paper and soak in cold water. Smooth out the paper and place on the surface of the sauce, and keep it warm.

Pound the chicken fillets between two sheets of greaseproof paper until they are flat and thin. Beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Season the breadcrumbs and pour on to a large plate. Coat the fillets with the egg, then dip into the crumbs, covering them evenly. Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan or deep frying-pan to 160°C and deep-fry the chicken fillets until they have turned golden brown. Leave to drain on some kitchen paper.

To serve, pour the béchamel sauce over the chicken fillets then sprinkle over the cheese. Place under a medium grill until the cheese has melted. Serve with chips and garnish.

Chicken is now normally used. Originally Pork was used.

thH66SIOK3.jpg

If you waste your time talking to the people who don’t listen, then join our forum
40 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Re: Parmo

I think I would have had a problem eating that even when I used to eat meat. Man Happy

Another dish to consider is what used to be a Leeds speciality; maybe it still is.

Take a pudding bowl, add a warm pork pie, cover with hot mushy peas and mint sauce and eat.

In days of old, so we are told, Lidl waited to be invented.
However people then had but bread and salt, yet lived their lives contented.
Valued Contributor

My normal lunch is  double pie, mash, and eels and liquor,with a side of bread and butter, followed by apple and blackcurrant crumble and custard,  all washed down with a mug of tea from Goddard Pie & Mash in Greenwich. http://www.goddardsatgreenwich.co.uk/our-menu/

pie mash.jpg

If you waste your time talking to the people who don’t listen, then join our forum
Regular Contributor

@BigAll  - I'm guessing that's one of the reasons why you are called BigAll? Man Wink

In days of old, so we are told, Lidl waited to be invented.
However people then had but bread and salt, yet lived their lives contented.
Valued Contributor

Trastos wrote:

@BigAll  - I'm guessing that's one of the reasons why you are called BigAll? Man Wink

@Trastos I like to think that I'm very generous in every proportion in all senses of the word and I do like a nice full belly and very generous comfortable fitting clothes too.Smiley Happy

Anonymous
N/A

I married a Leeds girl and moved there. Pork pie and mushy peas with mint sauce is the food of " the king of the north" Morley market and Wild Wade's pork pies, heaven, I live back home in the north of Scotland now ( same wife) but how I hanker after a Yorkshire pork pie, you can keep your Melton mowbray, Greens of Cleckheaton are the true champions.  @Trastos @BigAll @Easyliner @RMW2016

Valued Contributor

sergei wrote:

I married a Leeds girl and moved there. Pork pie and mushy peas with mint sauce is the food of " the king of the north" Morley market and Wild Wade's pork pies, heaven, I live back home in the north of Scotland now ( same wife) but how I hanker after a Yorkshire pork pie, you can keep your Melton mowbray, Greens of Cleckheaton are the true champions.  @Trastos @BigAll @Easyliner @RMW2016

Now you are talking my sort of language Smiley Happy I love making (and eating) my own hot water crust pork pies, with an egg in the middle and lots of aspic jelly. The jelly I make is from Oakden

http://oakden.co.uk/pork-stock-pork-pie-jelly/

Valued Contributor

You reminded me @sergei so we have just had a pork pie each for our lunch, without the mushy peas though. It was from our local butcher. People come from all over town to buy these. If you go before lunchtime, they are usually still warm and delicious!

Respected Contributor

Massive portions @BigAll

One plate full would take me days to eat.

We all have different size meals though, my husband is a big eater and so is our son. I'm glad they're both active people so they burn off the calories. Hubby is probably slightly overweight but he will lose that by the spring. 

I look forward to your chocolate and hazelnut cake though @Jellibet. I think I might need larger portions when it comes to chocolate cakes.

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Valued Contributor

Reading and then seeing those portions @BigAll puts away make me feel queezy. One portion would feed 3 in our household.