cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go With Anything Cake

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Go With Anything Cake

I've made this cake a number of times and it's always nice. It's called Go With Anything because you can serve it with fruit, ice-cream, yoghurt, cream or custard. I like it with some nice softened fruit such as strawberries or raspberries.

3 Medium eggs
160g Ground Almonds

Few drops of Almond essence too if you like.
150g Caster sugar
Zest and juice of half a lemon (or a small orange) plus another 1and a half tbsp juice
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
Icing sugar to dust

Preheat oven to 180c/350F/Gas Mk 4

1. Separate the eggs - whites in one big mixing bowl, yolks in another

2.Beat the yolks while gradually adding 130g of the sugar until pale and creamy

3. Fold in the ground almonds, zest, juice and cinnamon to make a stiff paste

4. Whisk the whites until they form soft peaks and gradually add the remaining sugar. Keep whisking until the whites are glossy and form stiff peaks.

5. Stir one third of the whites into the almond mixture to loosen it slightly then fold in the rest in two batches using a metal spoon. Be careful to do this gently to keep as much air in the mixture as possible.

6. Butter a 17cm round pie tin and cut a piece of greasproof paper to fit in the bottom. Transfer the mixture to the tin and smooth it out lightly and bake for about 35mins until it's just cooked. It might be a bit squidgy in the middle but that makes it even nicer once cool

7 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Go With Anything Cake

I made a  @Jellibet flourless and dairy free orange and almond cake with a dash of cardamom yesterday and was very disappointed with it only made four portions.Smiley Sad but it was yummy. Smiley Happy I hope your one makes moreSmiley Happy as it look yummy tooSmiley Happy

If you waste your time talking to the people who don’t listen, then join our forum
Contributor

@BigAll, gosh they must have been large slices.I could only have a small slice because the cake is so rich.I have another recipe which is chocolate and hazelnut which is just as delicious.You won't be able to have large slices of that one .Lol.

Valued Contributor

@Jellibet they were very filling and 4 bits was enough for afters and I had an afternoon nap as I was so fullSmiley Happy As for the chocolate and hazelnut challenge...quarters, bring it on Smiley Happy @homebaker

If you waste your time talking to the people who don’t listen, then join our forum
Respected Contributor

Sounds good @homebaker and I like the idea of having strawberries with it.
If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it
Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017
Trusted Contributor

I think you guys are having your cake and eating it @homebaker@tommiesgirl@BigAll@Jellibet

I like the sound of the cakes and might have a look at making both of them. 

How how long does the cake keep fresh for @homebaker

I read your recipe and was intrigued but a little scared of the cardoman. I have cardoman pods but they aren't crushed, will they need bashing with a rolling pin @Jellibet

Rage and Love
Trusted Contributor

@Jellibet Ah, I had a look at recipe and see you use a food processor. I assume a blender could work as I don't have a processor.

Rage and Love
Respected Contributor

These no-flour cakes are wonderful. Ground nuts (and you can use any UNSALTED nuts) provide the binding and separating the eggs provides the lightness.

Try a chocolate one, it truely is sublime.

If you skin oranges/lemons then put the skin in a blender (you do not even have to remove the pith - but that does add a little bitterness). Give a quick whizz to reduce to a pulp. Then add whole nuts and whizz those - you will get a fine ground nut with a orangy/lemony infusion.

Blenders work just as well.