cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting down on red meat

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Cutting down on red meat

Florence Nightingale went to knitting club so I decided to make cottage pie. We usually use a 250g pack of Aberdeen Angus minced steak. Last Thursday we bought a pack and split it in two. Onward. Take 125 grammes of aforementioned beef, earlier having soaked 200 grammes of lentils, I used green but red is equally suitable,  if green soaking in boiling water will reduce cooking time. Next trim and finely chop an onion also a large carrot and a few mushrooms. Make up a jug of gravy, your favoured way. In a harryfatter pan (quite large with a wide mouth) put in your mince and a little of the gravy, five mins on, add the onion and carrot, cook adding more gravy for 15 mins. Now add mushrooms. Cook your lentils in a separate pan simmering for 15 mins. (Thoroughly rinse first). Drain/sieve add to the melee. Cook for 10 mins more, season Worcester sauce? For the topping mashed potatoes grated cheese.  @harryflatters@Tarantula @Nessie@Jade. By leaving out the best bits this will suit vegetarians.

12 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: Cutting down on red meat

Well,  thank you @Tombola  for thinking of us vegetarians.  I can use Quorn mince in place of the meat  but I have also made a very nice lentil one too.  Woman Happy 

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016
Anonymous
N/A

Tombola wrote:

Florence Nightingale went to knitting club so I decided to make cottage pie. We usually use a 250g pack of Aberdeen Angus minced steak. Last Thursday we bought a pack and split it in two. Onward. Take 125 grammes of aforementioned beef, earlier having soaked 200 grammes of lentils, I used green but red is equally suitable,  if green soaking in boiling water will reduce cooking time. Next trim and finely chop an onion also a large carrot and a few mushrooms. Make up a jug of gravy, your favoured way. In a harryfatter pan (quite large with a wide mouth) put in your mince and a little of the gravy, five mins on, add the onion and carrot, cook adding more gravy for 15 mins. Now add mushrooms. Cook your lentils in a separate pan simmering for 15 mins. (Thoroughly rinse first). Drain/sieve add to the melee. Cook for 10 mins more, season Worcester sauce? For the topping mashed potatoes grated cheese.  @harryflatters@Tarantula @Nessie@Jade. By leaving out the best bits this will suit vegetarians.

yummy!

Valued Contributor

I'm also cutting down on red meat and have just made that famous Scottish meat substitute fish sausages Smiley Happyhttp://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_fishsausages.htm

If you waste your time talking to the people who don’t listen, then join our forum
Respected Contributor

Sounds good @Tombola, I never think of using Lentils in a cottage pie.

I do sometimes use Corned beef instead of the mince, I also like to use de-frosted  frozen faggots (I think they used to be Brains faggots) because the gravy is rich and gives a great flavour to the cottage pie.

I'm not a fish lover @BigAll, (I have allergies) but I really don't fancy the idea of Fish sausages Smiley Sad

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Valued Contributor

I usually make a thick Lentil stew and the lentils must be French brown or what they call gourmet Lentils (Puy Lentils). Puy lentils do not need soaking, the others do for about 2 hours. 3 carrots sliced, 3 sticks of celery sliced 1 small leek finely sliced, 2 medium spuds peeled and cubed, a pack of paprika chorizos when available. Gently fry leeks, add lentils 200g soaked, add chorizos whole or thickly sliced, fry gently for 2-3 minutes, Then add 1 litre chicken stock, bring to boil and then simmer for 1 hour, add the other veg and simmer for a further 30 mins. Adjust seasoning may only need some pepper because the chorizo are quite spicy and salty. Cooked lovingly with good produce from Lidl except the lentils. @tommiesgirl
Respected Contributor

Sounds good to me @Tarantula. Smiley Happy

I am going to have to try it but if I can't get the lentils in Lidl I'll send hubby out searching for them, I haven't shopped in any of the other supermarkets for food for a few years now.
If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Valued Contributor

We have a big Son of Moris in Castle Bromwich they very rarely sell them and Asda only sell the green Turkish lentils which are not nice. the Co-Op used to sell both French and Puy. They closing down and the small shopping centre where it is at will be demolished in favour for new Housing Estate @tommiesgirl
Valued Contributor

Sadly, Ken of mori fame passed away yesterday at the age of 85. Ken took over two market stalls (Bradford)  from his dad and built it in to the big four member it is today, quite an achievement, I worked at ASDA Leeds head office for 15 years, staff terms and conditions at mori were not envied ! @Tarantula @Easyliner

Valued Contributor

Went to every little helps today, after Lidl, looked for puy lentils. They've had a big move round, this is an old trick, if a rival store is revamped, Lidl. Move everything round add a few features, create a new look. So never found pulses. My job at Asda was store revamps and new. We always did maps as handouts for customers. Lidl should do this. @Tarantula