cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

self service tills in Plymouth not for customer convenience

Highlighted
New Contributor

self service tills in Plymouth not for customer convenience

Really fed up after a visit to my local Lidl, to find only self service tills open. I complained to the single member of staff visible, bu they were unwilling to open an actual till, despite my saying that i needed cashback. Staff was also surly and uncooperative. A very negative experience quite in contrast to normal.

All i can think is that the self service tills are being used to cut costs, not improve customer experience. In the future i shall go to the Co-op next door, until this anti-customer policy has been reversed!

13 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: self service tills in Plymouth not for customer convenience

I have never been in a Scottish Lidl with self service, though I looked through the window of a new build in Oban and could see they had some. I'm going to have a problem if they arrive as I have long been committed to only using manned tills. Asda are the worst I've seen so far with only one manned till but no manned tills would be the end of my shopping at a retailer, however good the offer. @gab44 @harryflatters @Lidl

Respected Contributor

We loved our visit to Oban @Professorhaggis - been thinking of doing another Lochs and Glens coach holiday to your wonderful part of the world and a new Lidl might just tip it! With or without 'self service'! 

Respected Contributor

20160915_154955.JPGAye Oh-ban is a bonnie wee toun. @harryflatters

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Professorhaggis yeah asda is really poor, i walked away and left my shopping at their self service checkout, irratating voice telling me to place my products in the bagging area even though i had and unexpected product in bagging area, guess some bright spark got a great bonus for that self service idea

Respected Contributor

Our new Lidl in Yardley had self service tills @gab44. They lasted all of 12 weeks. I made several complaints to the Manager, to Lidl itself. 

They would close the 'manned' tills so you had to use the self service. Whicj would have been ok but 2 never worked, one would not take cards and they were hopeless when you had a trolley full. An assistant had to come if you had alcohol, matches, glue or if you bought aything that had been reduced.

The final straw was when I threatened to abandon a very full trolley, an assistant took my trolley and did it all for me. I pointed out that the self service tills were actually forcing customers to leave the shop.

We went the following week and the self service tills were being removed and 2 'normal' tills replaced. No longer a problemSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Hello @gab44, welcome to our site, its great to have you with us.

I hope we get to chat more in the future, if you get time to have a look around the site you will soon get to know us all and you will hopefully find plenty to interest you. 

I am also a Plymothian, I think I know which store you are referring to, but I am lucky enough to say I have shopped in all of our Lidl stores in the Plymouth and never had a bad experience.

I would recommend you ask to speak to the store manager and explain the experience you had, its not acceptable as they are in the Customer Service business.

I do know when they are short staffed ,in the store you are referring to, they tend to use the self service tills so the staff that are available can fill shelves, help customers on the floor, work in the bakery and cover each others breaks etc

This is not a good enough reason for you to get the treatment you did though @gab44. so it is important the manager is made aware of the effect these tills are having at times.

I hope we get to chat again soon @gab44, I look forward to getting to know you Smiley Happy

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it
Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017 C/C;M/M;R/R
New Contributor

hi tommiesgirl do you work for Lidl?

If you had shopped extensively in the Lidls in Plymouth you would know that it is a mixed bag with some staff being excellent and others falling short, and that there is one store in particular where the staff seem extremely demotivated on weekends.

Anyway, you seem to be agreeing with me that the self-service tills are not for customer convenience, but to aid staffing. The things you mentioned should already have been happening withouth those horrible non-service tills.

I don't feel like going and having a chat with someone, especially as i feel they won't be receptive anyway....i've left my comments as a way of helping maybe they will filter back from CS actually reading these comments? I don't really think it's *my* job to do that.

Trusted Contributor

@gab44  welcome to MyLidl, I would probably be as annoyed as you about the self- service tills, none of the Lidls in my area has them yet but I get utterly frustrated at the ones in other supermarkets because they cannot operate smoothly and still need human attendance, coupled with the often glacial pace of the checkout staff in Morrisons and Sainsburys also drives me away from them as much as their prices generally.

None of us as far as I know work for Lidl, unless there are a few moles out there, and we are all receptive to anyone who wants to join in.  In fact one of the Community rules is to be nice to other Lidlers even if we don't agree and plenty on here disagree regularly but still come back for more..Smiley Surprised If you check out the 'Go To' tab next to 'Latest News' on the menu bar top right of the home page you can find out more about it all.

https://www.lidlcommunity.co.uk/t5/custom/page/page-id/AboutCommunity

We all make constructive comments from time to time about our shopping experiences and some of us - including @tommiesgirl (and me) joined a few years ago because, well, we quite preferred Lidl to other supermarkets and have been shopping there for many years.

My Lidl is not a Customer Services platform generally, so I might highlight a problem but would always contact CS directly to get resolution with them. The MyLidl team monitor this forum and can query things with CS if really necessary but overall I think their task is mainly to manage this site as a social media operation (someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Esteemed Contributor

Firstly I need to clarify I definitely DO NOT work for Lidl or any other supermarket.

If we don't let the Manager or CS know how we feel, or share our experience with them, they won't know something needs action or improvement. Its not fair to expect something to get better if we are not prepared to inform the only people/person who can do something about it.

I have been to all the Lidl stores in Plymouth and have always been lucky enough to have a positive experience.
I am off sick but my role is in management, in a CS department for a large company. I understand how difficult it is for customers, especially when it is busy or there are staff shortages.
On the other hand customers come first so I insist my staff go over and above for our customers. Customers should not suffer because of business issues.
If customers did not let us know there was an issue we could not improve our business.
I insist my staff show customers respect, then the majority of customers respect our position and give us the opportunity to reach the standards they require.

Everyone has a bad day so staff are not always going to be smiling or be able to take the time to help but on the whole the Lidl staff I have come into contact with are second to none.
I don't see the point in saying something for the sake of it, I have always had a thing about honesty.

As @homebaker and @mrsblazer have already stated CS don't actually read these posts as they have a lot of other things to manage.
We have been Lidlers for a few years now and we know CS will be more than happy to hear from you @gab44, although I know Lidl do not like to hear anything negative so they do their very best to improve matters asap.

I think a lot of businesses could learn a lot from the Lidl staff I have dealt with, they give the store a good atmosphere as soon as you go through the door.
I am proud to shop in Lidl and proud to be a Lidler.
If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it
Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017 C/C;M/M;R/R