cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

99p Event

Respected Contributor

99p Event

A worrying development? I have just read the latest Lidl leaflet (18th Jan to 24th Jan 2018). I really like the idea of 99p Event. However, I discover that those items are BRANDED rather than Lidl's own. WHY? The taste test of 2016 determined that most people preferred most of Lidl's own to branded items. @Lidl could have done so much more!

I also question the use of the word ALL as in 'Don't miss out on all your favourites at one amazing price'. I assume from that advert that ALL the branded items, not just those listed are in the event, as well as anything that is MY favourite.

13 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Re: 99p Event

Agree with that Tanith, there are only a couple of branded items that we ever buy from Herr Lidl because most of the "own brand" stuff is, if anything, at least as good as brands if not better. I will cite wheat crackers, cheese thins, cooking sauces, chutneys, Cien shampoo,W5 dishwasher tabs and extra mature cheddar as examples.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Isn’t it marketing to get the non-Lidl shoppers into store so they will then be tempted to dip their Lidl toe in the water? Although the fact it is advertised in an in-store leaflet/book doesn’t support this.

picked up said leaflet/book yesterday and ignored all the branded offers as I agree, @Eccles @Tanith , that Lidl own brands are most frequently superior.

noticed Scottish week coming up too @Lidl I am more than happy to sample/review your Ben Bracken Islay single malt whisky... 🥃🥃🥃🥃

Happy Friday!

ps @Tanith initially I was confused by the 99p event initially as I thought they were Lidl brands and I know some/many of these are already cheaper than 99p! Then I realised what it was and ignored it.

Rage and Love
Respected Contributor

Don't forget McAllister's excellent biscuit range in Scottish week, at 99p they are unbeatable. @Sx

Occasional Contributor

From the ones I know will be on offer, aren't the Lidl alternatives usually cheaper than 99p anyway? 

For example, things like heinz are on offer at 99p, but the batts alternatives are I believe around 50p. Things like Uncle Bens are on offer and usually sauces at Lidl are like 60-65p.

Respected Contributor

Hmmm... @Tanith.  We're into dark, philosophical and semantic waters here.  One of my favourites happens to be caviar, but I don't see it there.  Am I making too much of this, perhaps? 

Respected Contributor

Don't Lidl do own brand caviar ? That would sell well in the wiltingshires to the druids and hengeys. @Duchess

Respected Contributor

Agree with everything said here! @Tanith @niceguy @TerrysNotHappy @Sx funnily enough I am very fond of caviar @Duchess and sort of interestingly, one of my Christmas presents from No 1 son was a small (very!) jar of Deluxe Caviar from their Lidl in Tienen! Never seen it here but can suggest that the 'Lighthouse Bay' lumpfish 'substitute' , which you can get here, is more than acceptable! Smiley Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

99p event or not I will be sticking to my Lidl items, as stated by some other Lidlers a lot of Lidl goods are less than 99p anyway.

I know the Lidl goods I buy are excellent value, top quality and I am proud to shop in Lidl.

I think those who shop elsewhere do know realise Lidl sell named goods for less money than other places, so perhaps this promotion will get them in the door so then they can see the quality of other goods available in Lidl.

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it
Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017 C/C;M/M;R/R
Contributor

Just looking through the brochure and I agree Lidl should be advertising their own wares. However it will probably be as suggested above to tempt non Lidl shoppers in.

Once hooked in they'll be hoping the customers stay and sample the Lidl stuff which is better value. I wouldn't be without Lidl deluxe English breakfast tea, deluxe salt and vinegar crisps (currently xl at regular price) and their choco caramel bars, way tastier than mars and way cheaper!