cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POWERFIX Thermal Window Foil.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

POWERFIX Thermal Window Foil.

How does this work, then? http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=41041

The picture shows someone apparently placing the foil on the glass itself. I have used film that is stuck to the window frames before, which does the job. What is this Lidl "special"?

I am interested in a "quick fix" to reduce the heat loss from and condensarion on my old sash windows

15 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: POWERFIX Thermal Window Foil.

Another one for reviewing. How about it Lidl - pack to review (a couple of foil insulators, thermometer, perhaps an infra red thermometer and other insualtion ideas to try out). We are all willing.

I want to know about visibility in and out of the property? How effective the foil is in insulating the home? Take a temperature reading before for about a week, fix foil, then take another set of readings for the following week - assuming that the temperature is relatively constant outside.

I too would have thought that the ones attached to the window frame would have been better because there is an air gap between the foil and the the window - so a double glazing layer, even if it is not sealed (bit like closing the curtains to add insulation).

Trusted Contributor

I think it's sort of "stick-on Pilkington K".
Anonymous
N/A

Tanith wrote:

Another one for reviewing. How about it Lidl - pack to review (a couple of foil insulators, thermometer, perhaps an infra red thermometer and other insualtion ideas to try out). We are all willing.

I want to know about visibility in and out of the property? How effective the foil is in insulating the home? Take a temperature reading before for about a week, fix foil, then take another set of readings for the following week - assuming that the temperature is relatively constant outside.

I too would have thought that the ones attached to the window frame would have been better because there is an air gap between the foil and the the window - so a double glazing layer, even if it is not sealed (bit like closing the curtains to add insulation).

yes we'd all happily give it a trial for you @Lidl   I wondered about the visibilty as I don't want darker rooms

Trusted Contributor

Might be worth a try... @User1   we had some of this material fitted on the windows in an office I used to work in which had massive windows but they couldn't be opened so it was like a greenhouse in the summer and we had no air-con,  it did make the room more comfortable in the summer, so it certainly has thermal properties, but it also kept out quite a bit of light. Depends what kind of quality it is and how fiddly it is to fit properly without bubbles and stretching.

Ours aren't sash windows but they do become draughty in the winter and we also get condensation, so like you we fit the plastic film that you stick with double sided tape and use a hairdryer to cure afterwards.

I'd certainly like to test some of it as we've a few windows that we can't put anything on as there isn't enough frame to stick the tape to!

Respected Contributor

Maybe Lidl will set up a 'need to trial' page along with links to the comments (that do not exist).

New Contributor

I bought some but I can't tell how much light it blocks off since I can't peel the **bleep** backing off once it's applied. Anyone else have this problem?

Trusted Contributor

Naggers wrote:

I bought some but I can't tell how much light it blocks off since I can't peel the **bleep** backing off once it's applied. Anyone else have this problem?

Saw it in a shop, didn't buy it brcause of the greyness. Did you get the backing off? Is the "foil" easy to put on without trapping bubbles under it?

New Contributor

Easy to use, hard to master. It's very easy to apply but it takes a lot more skill than I have to make it look perfect - all the bubbles are gone but there's a few (miniscule) creases. 

And I'm pretty skeptical it even has another layer, I think it was just an error on the manual. 

Respected Contributor

It sounds as if the adhesive needs to be worked on.

Perhaps making it more like an epoxy - where it takes perhaps a minute to become very tacky. This would allow for the foil to be moved and smoothed before the adhesive became 'permanent'.