cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rhubarb crumble

Trusted Contributor

Rhubarb crumble

Right - I've invited a few of my friends to Chris's house for lunch on Sunday (see what I did there?) and I have graciously volunteered to make a crumble.  Did it once.  Was awful.  So, Yummly forward with a recipe - and don't anyone tell me about 3,2,1 or some such!  Don't do numbers.  They expect duff food from me, so will be pleasantly surprised by Chris's trout wot he caught.  So, a free meal for 4, as the rhubarb grows in my front garden.  Enormous tree of it this year and it had a second coming, as the first iteration was in Feb.  Odd.  Other people have flowers.......

11 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: Rhubarb crumble

I love rhubarb @Duchess, its not something I grow though because the leaves can be toxic to the dogs. I usually buy my rhubarb and make pies or crumbles or both. Delicious with clotted cream ....yum!

I hope the lunch goes well on Sunday and that you enjoy it as much as Chris does @Duchess  x

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017
Respected Contributor

Hope it goes well for you today @Duchess 

Rhubarb crumble is one of my favourites too. Sprinkle some powdered ginger over the Rhubarb to add a bit more taste. I also sometimes add oats and dessicated coconut to the crumble for a change. 

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017
Trusted Contributor

Hope your lunch went well and was enjoyed by all @Duchess especially your rhubarb crumble!  Love rhubarb crumble although these days we rarely have pudding unfortunately. Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

It was quite bad..... we had the meal in my shed on the table with a slippery glass top (any engineers out there who can source little rubber grommets to rest it on, with a spike to go into the metal legs?)  I digress.  The crumble was too wet, said Chris.  He was right.  The crumble sank almost without trace and what was left on the surface burnt rather attractively.  Oh well.  The wine and trout was good! 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

That's a shame, at least the Trout and wine were good @Duchess    Perhaps have less juice in the bottom next time. 

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017
Respected Contributor

Oh dear!

Another solution is to part cook the fruit first. On the hob, fruit plus perhaps a tablespoon of liquid, although most fruit requires no liquid to cook. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to the dish, add spices/sugar tehn cover with the topping.

I like to make my topping with a 50% (or even just 30%) mix of ground almonds to flour. Honey is better than sugar. It provides a different taste and texture to a standard crumble.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, @Tanith et al.  I did cook the rhubarb first, but put water (not much) in it.  Ho hum.  Chris is cooking tonight.  How you guys put up with cooking EVERY SINGLE DAY I do not know.  If there were a pill instead......

Respected Contributor

My dear Duchess - I do not cook every day.

We have summer food (based on salads) so rarely cooking at all. Some weeks the oven is not even on!

Winter food is based around a slow cooker, oven on perhaps twice a week. AND we also have a cooked breakfast.

Most fruit already contains as much as 90% water so no extra needed (look at dried fruit compared with the original).

Trusted Contributor

It's all right, @Tanith - the hot weather makes me ratty.  Can't wait for Winter and knee-deep snow.  Waiting for acceptance of my last offer on my house.....fingers crossed.  Nevertheless, still £17,250 less than we started with........grrrr.....