cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Observation - Poor Quality Lidl Clementines & Satsumas

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Observation - Poor Quality Lidl Clementines & Satsumas

I'm lumping both varieties together as I have difficulty telling them apart. I'm fed up after carefully scrutinising in the store a one kilo net (price circa £1.60) for damaged fruits and then finding a couple of days later one or more coverred in a grey/blue mould. My other gripe is that the fruits often tend to be drying out rather than juick. On Monday I gave a staff member a bag with a rotting friut in it and after carefully peering at a couple of nets made my selection. This time immediately put them in a bowl and last night we started on them finding, for the first time in ages no rotting ones but with a very, very low juice content. These issues aren't helped by Lidl using a Day / Date code for best before rather than a clearly printed date. I won't be buying again as I'm starting to think Lidl buy cheap due to their age and possible rough handling.

20 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Observation - Poor Quality Lidl Clementines & Satsumas

So, in your scenario Lidl sends out buyers scouring for the oldest kicked about fruits so they can sell rubbish cheap, and that will increase their market share by 1% year on year. We buy these bags of Clementine's, just found a couple with mould on, but we bought them nearly two weeks ago. 99% of the time the fruit and veg. Is perfect and always good value. All supermarkets have hiccups with fresh produce. Lidl are better than most. @gruner

Valued Contributor

Tombola wrote:

So, in your scenario Lidl sends out buyers scouring for the oldest kicked about fruits so they can sell rubbish cheap, and that will increase their market share by 1% year on year. We buy these bags of Clementine's, just found a couple with mould on, but we bought them nearly two weeks ago. 99% of the time the fruit and veg. Is perfect and always good value. All supermarkets have hiccups with fresh produce. Lidl are better than most. @gruner

Yes - I've had about 6 successive bags poor quality and I do suspect Lidl are buying lower than Grade A Spec. Our experiences differ maybe the distribution centre servicing your store receives deliveries from a different group of Spanish growers. I agree on Fruit & Veg Lidl are better than most but they've had their last purchase from me on 1kg nets of these varieties for 2017

Trusted Contributor

You have to be careful. I have sometimes seen nets of clementines.mandarins/satsumas for sale that have contained mouldy fruit. If things are "reduced" be even more careful. I too have sometimes had these with rather dried-up segments inside. Don't get me started on the broccoli. No, really, don't. **bleep**. Too late. Grr!

Respected Contributor

I have said this before @gruner. I find that Lidl fruit/veg does not last as long as that bought from a greengrocer or other well known stores. I am unsure whether it is the way they store it. If I buy the fruit/veg when it is on offer then I use it immediately or freeze it.

Respected Contributor

Have to admit, I have had a few bad bags of clementines too with mouldy and dry ones.  On the whole, Lidl veg are best but I did have to leave not getting a cauliflower and sprouts a week ago as they all had brown spots on and not very good looking.  Broccoli was good though.  

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016
Trusted Contributor

We have had these discussions on here before I think.  There always seems to be considerable differerence of opinions regarding fruit and veg. so clearly there are forces at work aroung the country that produce very different results in different Lidl stores.  It could, maybe, even be down to the local manager and how long they allow stock to sit on the shelves etc.  We appear to be lucky because invariably the veg. is superb and lasts well and the last cauli we got a week or so ago was huge, very white and very cheap!  Having said that, an onion swmbo just started was brown inside so 'chuckable' and we did have a 'duff' mango the other week! Smiley Sad It's obviously an issue that Lidl need to look at because consistency of quality, store to store, is clearly very important! 

Valued Contributor

And I thought you knew you're onions. How did you know you're onion was orf  -  you cut it open, well that's going to be the way forward, silly Lidl, why didn't they think of that, obvious init. @harryflatters

Trusted Contributor

Well, it looked perfectly OK on the outside @Tombola Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Today, visited a Lidl branch I have been to before, three or four times. It's been a few days since refurbishment. The shop is much "airier" but the produce problem has not been eradicated.

Edit:

( IMAGE SNIPPED - IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SEE IT PM ME )

The box these were in, the other fruit, and the shelf were all wet with juice. I think this is bad for Lidl's image, and such stuff should not be on sale.