cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microwave cooking

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Microwave cooking

While sorting through recipe books I found this,  did anyone else collect them. I think it was around the 80's. 

Screenshot_2018-03-12-19-03-45-1.png

Screenshot_2018-03-12-19-02-52-1.png

Screenshot_2018-03-12-19-03-19-1.png

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017 Mincepie Maverick and Rebel roaster
Tags (1)
23 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: Microwave cooking

We got our first microwave in the early eighties. It was a Toshiba and cost a staggering £400.00. It was a present from my in-laws. My mother in law was the nicest woman ever. If Carlsberg made mothers in law --------. @Jade

Esteemed Contributor

Microwave ovens used to be really expensive compared to the costs today @niceguy

My Mum didn't have a Microwave until about 10 years ago, she used to think they were dangerous. She would say they leaked out stuff that can ruin food and kill everyone @Jade

Even then she bought the type of Microwave that warms rather than cooks Smiley Happy

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it
Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017 C/C;M/M;R/R
Respected Contributor

I remember reading exactly what your mum said about leaking stuff, when the microwave first came out @tommiesgirl  It took me a little while before I got one myself...  Woman LOL 

Trusted Contributor

Great thread @Jade Been around a long time haven't they? first domestic one introduced in America in 1955 and the patent filed in 1945, but did not appear in Britain until the early 70's. Having looked at Product Design work and history during my education the comparison between the daily world in America and Britain was painful really.

I happen to like having a microwave, I've used it to make some lovely sponge cakes and I use it to defrost and warm up foods before further cooking. Always use it for scrambled eggs and I have some microwave egg cookers for hard boiled and soft boiled eggs, quicker and much more efficient but the problem these days is that they are all just too small for larger dishes. I think the purchasing profile must have altered to those living in tiny flats or bedsits or using them in a corner in a works snack area. Just for ready meals and re-heats and they are just not as durable as they were.

This is a really interesting article on the early history 'Time to Nuke Dinner'

https://www.wired.com/2010/10/1025home-microwave-ovens/

https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/thisdayintech/2010/10/Radarange_first.jpg

Respected Contributor

I used to make some lovely cakes in it too @homebaker and they were ready in minutes, very light and spongy. Have always done my scrambled egg in it so easy and quick. @tommiesgirl @niceguy 

Regular Contributor

My microwave only gets used for defrosting and warming things such as tinned beans and peas, or left over curry.

I have never ventured into looking just what else I could do with it.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!
Regular Contributor

"Dinging" Spuds works OK as long as you put the spud in the oven after dinging it (just to crispen up the skin) but if you ding beans they never seem to keep hot for long (or is that just me)

Don't knock it until you have tried it
Trusted Contributor

Oh yes @Obidiah  the baked spud how could I forget that too, better cooked slowly in an oven but as there are only two of us and our gas cooker runs on LPG which is no longer so cheap to use the microwave is more efficient and quicker for many things. We used to have one with an infra-red grill and that was really useful.

The last episode of Back in Time for Tea was the 1970's and the family got very excited about having ready meals in a microwave but got fed up of waiting for their individual plastic trays of er... food, to heat up.

Today's fact I have just learned according to BBC R4

“Popty ping” is not the Welsh term for the microwave oven, sorry. A literal translation would be “the oven that goes ping”, which, while being very Pythonesque, and incredibly funny, isn't actually true. The Welsh word for microwave is “meicrodon” – “meicro” being Welsh for micro, and “don”, the mutated word for ton (tohn),'

@Jade@Rustyfrog@tommiesgirl@niceguy

Respected Contributor

Useful tip for ancient red haired Frenchmen, take beans out of tin before microwaving, or you'll get more than a ding. We have a royal doulton dinner service plain white with a/silver rim, I once put a soup tureen in the microwave to warm. In a second it was world war three. Fortunately no damage to a very expensive dish.  @Rustyfrog@Jade