Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gin and wine shortage

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Gin and wine shortage

Gin.jpg

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017 Mincepie Maverick and Rebel roaster
Tags (2)
13 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: Gin and wine shortage

Will the last to leave, please turn out the lights!! Smiley Sad @Jade

Respected Contributor

Juniper berries can be grown in polytunnells in Norfolk where they're a wash with sunshine and an abundance of unemployed louts to pick them. @Jade@Jade

Respected Contributor

Being the driest county, we're not awash with anything @Professorhaggis we do have a number of unemployed louts who aren't interested in doing anything but they are 'home grown' - the huge agricultural industry round here is now almost unable to employ anyone to pick anything!  We welcomed the Poles etc. in 1940 but they and others don't feel so welcome now!!  What short memories we all have!! Put the lights out when you leave!!

Respected Contributor

Is the peat affected @Professorhaggis@harryflatters@Jade ?

hopefully no shortage there. If so I will happy give my square foot of land back. I will forego the gin so there is more for you @harryflatters and Mrs @Professorhaggis. As for wine @Jade I don’t much like it, although have just opened a bottle of something that should have retailed at over £10 in Lidl and was in the bargain bin for £2.99! Some sweet desert German tipple. Quite nice.

Rage and Love
Respected Contributor

What a load of rubbish @Jade. Everything is being blamed on Brexit and we can get juniper berries from the USA. 

As a 'gin' lover and a recent visitor to the Bombay Sapphire distilery I can assure you all that Brexit was not one of their concerns. They produce all their gin in a tiny little village and 60% of theirs is exported to the USA!

Respected Contributor

Bombay sapphire on special at 20.00 a litre in not lidl . @mrsblazer@Sx@harryflatters@Jade GLW got her share certificates for Ben Wyvis gin a and her free bottle and glass. This is the worlds first and only community funded distillery producing both single malt and hand crafted gin. On holiday Friday for two weeks + roadblocking with caravan. Visiting Perth/Glasgow/Edinburgh, and other places undecided. 

Respected Contributor

I am getting really tired about these 'absolute' statements. Nobody knows what WILL happen - even if there is a hard Brexit. Nobody knows what WILL happen if there is a soft Brexit. Nothing has been agreed. We get wine from Australia, Chile and other new world countries. Even if French and Italian wines were to be more expensive we could get cheaper Australian wines. It all depends on tarriffs and duties. The UK government could impose ZERO duty on wine and ZERO VAT on wine (which we would be allowed to do once we have left, because we will not be bound by VAT/DUTY rule eminating from the EU).

Juniper berries can be imported from other countries.

Respected Contributor

I think some people just like scare mongering   @mrsblazer @Professorhaggis @harryflatters @Sx @Tanith they need someone to blame it on....    

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017 Mincepie Maverick and Rebel roaster
Trusted Contributor

Well said @mrsblazer they will be blaming us next for drinking all the gin and wine

All good things come in Lidl packages

We want Red, we want Red,
Ee Aye addio, we want Red (back)