cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooking afternoon.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Cooking afternoon.

Well, i've been cooking all afternoon to create my valentines lunch. I made leek and potato soup and chocolate mousse with shortbread biscuits. Every ingredient came from Lidl and I must say i'm very pleased with myself!

Has anyone made chocolate mousse with marshmallows before? I have always made chocolate mousse with egg white but today I used marshmallows. Hopefully it will taste just as good.

Good luck to all the other entrants, they are all looking good!

14 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Cooking afternoon.

I've never used marshmallow  before only eggwhite but I bet they turn out really well, good luck in the competition @hazey3 can't wait to see your piccies

Trusted Contributor

Well done for entering the competition @hazey3 and what you've done sounds lovely.  Good luck with your entry and can't wait to see the photos.

Trusted Contributor

All sounds yummy @hazey3 

leek and potato soup making here as I type, but sadly no chocolate mousse 🙁

Will  have a look at your pics later 👍🏼

Rage and Love
Respected Contributor

Well done @hazey3 that all sounds lovely.  I like leek and potato soup,  I put parsnip in mine and single cream, do you too?  

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone. @Jade I put double cream in mine. It has been such a horrible day here, lovely warm soup has been perfect for the weather. 

Respected Contributor

Leek and potato soup sounds lovely for today (one of my favourites), the wind here has been so bad our gate blew off its hinges. I would have loved soup when I got in from the wind and rain with the dogs. 

The chocolate mousse should definitely be tested @hazey3, I am more than willing to make that sacrifice and feedback the results for you if you like. Then you will also know if it will be successful for Valentine Day. Smiley Happy

Good luck  in the competition @hazey3

I have actually been wondering whether Lidl would like to set up a small panel of Lilders, who are obviously impartial, to test the delights made in the competition. I'm sure others will volunteer to join me on the panel Smiley Happy

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Regular Contributor

@tommiesgirl I  went down to the field where I take my dog and we got caught in the hail. It was the first time she has been in hail and looked a bit scared. We both got completely drenched! Soup definitely warmed me up! It is much calmer here today, hope it's better where you are too.

The chocolate mousse was delicious but VERY rich. Really easy to make though so I might make another for Valentines Day!

Respected Contributor

hazey3 wrote:

@tommiesgirl I  went down to the field where I take my dog and we got caught in the hail. It was the first time she has been in hail and looked a bit scared. We both got completely drenched! Soup definitely warmed me up! It is much calmer here today, hope it's better where you are too.

The chocolate mousse was delicious but VERY rich. Really easy to make though so I might make another for Valentines Day!

How about giving us the recipe for your Mousse @hazey3 please. We all like something easy to make and it sounds lovely. 

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016
Regular Contributor

Hi @Jade Here you go. 

• 150 grams mini marshmallows
  • 50 grams soft butter
  • 250 grams good dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids) chopped into small pieces
  • 60 millilitres hot water (from a recently boiled kettle)
  • 284 millilitres double cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Put the marshmallows, butter, chocolate and water in a heavy-based saucepan.
  2. Put the saucepan on the hob, over heat, though keep it fairly gentle, to melt the contents, stirring every now and again. Remove from the heat.
  3. Meanwhile, whip the cream with the vanilla extract until thick, and then fold into the cooling chocolate mixture until you have a smooth, cohesive mixture.
  4. Pour or scrape into 4 glasses or ramekins, about 175ml / ¾ cup each in capacity, or 6 smaller (125ml / ½ cup) ones, and chill until you want to eat. The sooner the better!

It really was a lovely mousse and so easy to make. I used the Bellarom finest dark chocolate (2.5 bars) and almost a whole bag of the Lidl mini marshmallows. I also used Heavenly Buttery not real butter.

Hope you like it.