cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas speciality Glazed Ham Joint

Highlighted
Contributor

Christmas speciality Glazed Ham Joint

This at £9.99 was an impulse buy of mine. I thought it would come in at some point and it had a long use by date.

Had it last night and I was very impressed. It cooked beautifully as per instructions and the glaze was outstanding, I was surprised about that. I placed some pieces of fresh pineapple around it and a tablespoon or so of water in the tray. The glaze contained orange, but also cinnamon and coriander.

I have to take medication at night and have to finish any food about 7-45, no picking....it was difficult wrapping this up to refrigerate last night!

An outstanding product that we wil have for lots of sandwiches. One hting did concern me, on the wrapping it said "do not reheat". I quite often cut up the end of a ham joint for rissotto or to add to soup. Would it be safe to do this and if so why not?

I often think they should have some of these products outside of the Christmas season. This would make a great Sunday roast or served cold a good supper dish/buffet centrpiece.

Did anyone else try this?

6 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Christmas speciality Glazed Ham Joint

Go with your instinct @Cantelo.

If it was raw and I had cooked it myself I wouldn't be too concerned about reheating it, just as always, make sure it is piping hot. My household suffer lots of 'illegally' reheated past best before (sometimes use by dates) food to no ill.

Rage and Love
Respected Contributor

@Cantelo I have had this ham, I trialled it back in September and it was delicious, just like you said.

I remember it like I had it yesterday because it was so good. I wasn't able to get it at Christmas as my Lidl store sold out so I had to have a normal smoked ham, although it was lovely as well because I made a similar sauce.

The glazed Ham joint wasn't stringy like some hams, it sliced beautifully. I remember it took a bit longer to cook than the instructions said. There was no fat on it and the flavour was delicious. 

We had some of the Glazed Ham with boiled potatoes, vegetables and with a sauce I made but it didn't really need a sauce..

I think it may have been delicious with a roast too.

It kept really well for a few days in the fridge but we didn't have it very long because it was too delicious and we kept picking at it.

We had the final few slices in sandwiches and we were quite disappointed when it was gone.

I do agree that it should be available more often though @Cantelo but then perhaps we would not appreciate it as much.

20160928_140156.jpg

The photo wasn't brilliant but you can see how lean the meat was and how well it sliced.

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Respected Contributor

Like TG, I also trialled this ham. The ham itself was really good, without any waste.

BUT I found the orange glaze just too sweet (unfortunately most glazes are). I was assuming that it would be sweet, so just glazed a small part of one end, because it was a trial.

Agree with TG about cooking - the timings do need to be extended.

I also agree that it would be nice to have this at other times of the year - even if we are just cooking for sandwiches or to have with salad in the summer.

Contributor

Respected Contributor

Yes!

Was sent a whole ham to cook. The only difference was that the packaging was not the final packaging. Cooking instructions on a piece of paper.

I am not sure if we are sent things based on previous reports - a strong, unbiased report (good and bad things with how something might be improved). I always get a WOW from miss Lidl. So hang in there. Perhaps a private e-mail to miss Lidl asking if they want a report.

Respected Contributor

You are so right @Tanith I can just imagine sitting out on my decking in the summer with some glazed ham, a tiger loaf or some crackers, a glass of Jeeves with ice while taking in the gorgeous view across the River Tamar......wonderful Smiley Happy

I definitely vote for Glazed Ham more often please Mr Lidl Smiley Happy

@Cantelo I would just send a Private message to @Lidl and remind them you have the vacuum report for them as suggested by @Tanith.

I have been in the same situation at times. Sometimes they have a variety of different things out for trialling and they overlook following them up. Smiley Happy

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016