Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas - Turkey, Goose, Ham, or Duck

Highlighted
Imi
New Contributor

Christmas - Turkey, Goose, Ham, or Duck

I am thinking of cooking something different for Christmas Day, whilst at the same time I'd like to incorporate some of the traditional meats.  We all love turkey, whole ham, duck or goose, and would like to keep that tradition but are keen to do something exciting, tasty and with a twist.  Any ideas?

Tags (3)
44 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Christmas - Turkey, Goose, Ham, or Duck

We had ham, egg and chips one year!

Duck is lovely but doesn't stretch far.

what do you like? @Imi Do you have a favourite?

maybe different side dishes as well as the traditional favourites.

look forward to finding out what you decide 😃

Rage and Love
Respected Contributor

How many people will you need to serve for Christmas lunch/dinner? @Imi Do you want to cook a meal that you can have enough left over to serve cold later?  What about a rib of beef?  or a two rib piece if you need to feed lots! As long as you don't go anywhere near over cooking it and absolutely ensure it is left to rest, wrapped in foil with a towel over it as insulation, for longer than you think it should!! - at least 30 mins - it is superb!

Trusted Contributor

I usually have a selection of all the mentioned except for Turkey, none of our family (all3 of us now) never liked turkey meat.  So as usual I will look for a nice free range chicken, a nice piece of pork with crackling, a goose crown, a duckling,a piece of beef and a gammon joint.  Perhaps some phesant and a nutroast too.  All stocked up in the freezer and world is our oyster for Christmas and beyond.  The question is to have what to have and when.  @harryflatters, @Sx,@Jade, @Tanith

Trusted Contributor

Tarantula wrote:

I usually have a selection of all the mentioned except for Turkey, none of our family (all3 of us now) never liked turkey meat.  So as usual I will look for a nice free range chicken, a nice piece of pork with crackling, a goose crown, a duckling,a piece of beef and a gammon joint.  Perhaps some phesant and a nutroast too.  All stocked up in the freezer and world is our oyster for Christmas and beyond.  The question is to have what to have and when.  @harryflatters, @Sx,@Jade, @Tanith

All sounds good @Tarantula what time shall we be round? 😀

Rage and Love
Trusted Contributor

I am going to be really selfish and mean with my answer: Cook your flipping own. I do mine one at the time, whatever it is. Prepare side dishes and cooking time and go walkies with Patty. Every year I keep saying, Not again next year, and guess what .....
Respected Contributor

Tarantula wrote:
I am going to be really selfish and mean with my answer: Cook your flipping own. I do mine one at the time, whatever it is. Prepare side dishes and cooking time and go walkies with Patty. Every year I keep saying, Not again next year, and guess what .....

You sound just like swmbo @Tarantula she is already muttering about Christmas and what she is going to have to do!!

Contributor

This year, we're looking to go for something a bit different to freshen things up a bit.

This festive fruity ostrich fillet roast is still on our list of contenders: http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/festive-fruity-ostrich-fan-fillet-roast.html

Trusted Contributor

When my hubby was still alive it was a joint effort. He helped with the preparation and cleaning and I done all the cooking and after everything was over he'd turn into a very handsome dishwasher. Sadly missed still after 10 years especially this time of year. Just me now with 2 idle sons, a cat and a dog and not a partridge in the pear .tree in sight. @harryflatters
Imi
New Contributor

hahaha I love a good ham egg and chips now and again but my kids would be disappointed if I served that up at Christmas!