cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new trial for Lidl,

Respected Contributor

Re: A new trial for Lidl

@Tanith in the photo I shared at the beginning of this thread it states....  slightly damaged fruit and veg, NOT WONKY.  Hope this helps.  @niceguy @harryflatters @Dottydee 

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017 Mincepie Maverick and Rebel roaster
Community Manager

Hi @Tanith

Our 'Too Good to Waste' boxes are indeed different from wonky veg boxes. Wonky Veg boxes are an initiative where supermarkets price down products that are a slightly different shape or size to what is considered 'the norm'. Instead, we work very closely with suppliers to ensure that we have a degree of flexibility with specifications at different times of the year, so that we can include these products within our standard fruit and veg lines.

The 'Too Good to Waste' boxes specifically address fruit and veg waste in store, so products that have been left on the shelves as a result of being slightly damaged (e.g. bruised), or past their perfect best (a bit soft/wrinkly), but still completely fine to eat. Or, for example, they might have come from a pack of fruit and veg (i.e. oranges), where there is one bad product that is no longer suitable for sale, meaning the rest of the pack, which is perfectly good, cannot be sold.

Some of our stores are piloting the initiative but it's very much in the trial stages, so we want to give them the best opportunity to find their feet with it.

I hope this information helps.

Best wishes,

My Lidl Team
Respected Contributor

Just a pity @Lidl that it is shrouded in secrecy a part from facebook and no one seems to know where this is being trialledSmiley Frustrated

Any one that is asking is being told sorry it's not in a store in your areaSmiley Surprised

I do hope the pilot is across the UK and not just in a specific areaSmiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Lidl. It was just that your previous post (page 4 as of today) used to state Wonky Veg. I noticed that you have now edited it to 'Too Good to Waste'! There is also a 'Wonky veg boxes' thread - and that, to me, indicates that there was confusion.

I do not know WHY @Lidl decided to keep it secret where this trial is taking place. As I posted in my first post here, some of us might have travelled to a store to try it out and then feed back here. Well I suppose Lidl management know what they are doing.

I agree with you @niceguy. I think the idea is, according to Lidl (now) and the press release and articles, that the staff sort out items that are unlikely to sell, 1 bad orange removed form the pack of 5, mouldy strawberries, rotten carrots/potatoes etc and the rest put into the box, before the store opens. Any boxes that they sell is a bonus because the actual 5 pack of oranges would not have sold at all. In an ideal world there would be no boxes, because management of supplies and sales are perfect. I would imagine that some stores might have a couple of boxes. 5kg, 700 stores - so even 1 box per store would mean over 3.5 tonnes of perfectly good fruit/veg per day!

If I were wanting a 'stew pack' during the winter, or a 'fruit pack' during the summer then this might be the way to go for me.

@Tarantula- NOT Wonky fruit/veg, but fruit and veg near its sell by date.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Woohoo look what was in the Lidl store in Yardley, Birmingham todaySmiley Happy

20180810_095656.jpg

No price on them ans they were in a wire box after you went through the till. Didn't buy as there was nothing that I really needed. Think you would need to look carefully when deciding which box to have. However, if it was what you needed then definitely worth itSmiley Happy

@Jade @Tanith @Tarantula @niceguy @tommiesgirl

Respected Contributor

That's brilliant @mrsblazer AT LEAST WE NOW KNOW ONE STORE DOING THEM....   @Tanith @Tarantula @niceguy @tommiesgirl  Woman Very Happy   

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017 Mincepie Maverick and Rebel roaster
Respected Contributor

What's really nice to see is they have just reused the standard veg delivery boxes. So recycling at the same time. A win win for everyone.  @@mrsblazer @Jade @Tarantula @tommiesgirl

Respected Contributor

Looks good @mrsblazer. A fruit box (for the summer) and a few veg. Probably would not want the marrow one, but the two front ones look excellent. And great to reuse the boxes @niceguy. I have frequently and regularly said that it seems stupid to have produce delivered in a once only cardboard box - 6 bottles of wine packaged in a box, only for that box to be destroyed when it arrives at the store. So Yes, well done to @Lidl for reusing the boxes.

Respected Contributor

It's just a pity they were on display after the tills which means to buythem you have to pick it up and then go all around the store to paySmiley Surprised Some people were not even aware they were for sale as they had no label/price on them.

@Tanith @Jade @niceguy @Tarantula @tommiesgirl

Esteemed Contributor

That does seem a bit strange @mrsblazer, even if they put them at the other end of the tills it would make more sense.

However as @Jade says at least we know there are some boxes on sale in some stores.

I like the idea of the fruit and veg in particular because so much gets wasted unnecessarily these days.

Behind our local Co-op they have these big cages and the amount of food stuff thrown in there, that could still be used, is ridiculous.

I notice the local residents go down there and take items out.

The other day I saw someone I recognised coming out of the shops yard with an open bag of toilet rolls, potatoes, broken box of soap powder amongst other things. The lady told me she frequently manages to get so many items it saves her a fortune on shopping and stops the waste. She said she is on a fixed income now she's older so she takes her trolley and some empty carrier bags with her at least 3 times a month. She said she often makes a meal to take to her church for the pensioners lunch because there is so much available at times and she can't use it all herself. She said sometimes its a dessert but more often than not something hot. I think that's a brilliant idea.

It is a shame the store throws out so much but great that the locals don't let it go to waste. 

Perhaps more stores could learn from these people and put these things to use, I'm sure there are plenty of people who could make use of things. Even the food banks are running out now, so thats a good place to start.

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it
Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017 C/C;M/M;R/R