cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register office marriage

Respected Contributor

Register office marriage

What a palaver!  I am trying to find the simplest, least goofy form of ceremony for when we hit Bath with amazing event (4 people) that will be the wedding of the er.....day.

I went to one last year and was amazed at how bleeking complicated it is!  Having married in church last time (I was an actual Christian then), I assumed that something non-religious would be a lot less sloppy.  They keep banging on about love etc., which to me is a private thing and nothing to do with the State.  I know it's a contract, which is why I am keen to indulge in it, as I shall need financial protection in me old age.  But, really.  At least I shall not buy a few frock or anything so banal.  Mind you, I have not mentioned any of this to Chris, who may have other ideas.  I can see him turning up in morning dress, in which he does look good.  He says I can't wear Docs and jeans, though!

9 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Register office marriage

@Duchess 

Not wanting to speak out of turn but I am sure all us Lidl Lidlers were wanting an invite to the big day. I for one have a pair of Doc Martins 😀 💐

Rage and Love
Respected Contributor

Oh - I forgot that!  My Docs have flowers on them and are named after me, for some reason.  No, we share a name, that's all.

We were only ever going to the Reg. Off. thing, but all the to-do that can creep in is well, creepy.  I shall wear an M&S dress and Sainsbury's jacket and NO HAT OR BLO ODY FASCINATOR!

Respected Contributor

Wot, no 'fascinator' @Duchess - appalled! Smiley Very Happy still, suppose going down the aisle in a Sainsburys jacket is appropriate!  My invite's in the post I expect? Smiley Very Happy health, happiness and wealth to you both - in that order!  If you can only have one, have the first one because that will lead automatically to the second Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Why not do the Gretna thing, I'm sure that would suit you. @Duchess@harryflatters@Stixxee

Respected Contributor

Very tempted.  Have been there to the shopping village, so could go there afterwards!  Actually, now you mention it, could go on the way up to Lewis, whence I am trying to take The Boy, so we could have a honeymoon.....  will suggest it.  Do they still do the same thing?

Trusted Contributor

Even better do it in Lewis, same rules apply, Gretna just happens to be the first point in Scotland, unless you purchase a special licence you have to " call the banns" for three weeks, @Duchess@harryflatters@Stixxee

Respected Contributor

Ooooo, I love a wedding,  if we're not being invited can we have some photos when the deed is done @Duchess 

Hope it goes well with the arrangements and you have the day you wish for.  Heart

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017 Mincepie Maverick and Rebel roaster
Respected Contributor

Good Luck - When is the special day?

Sometimes you just wish you could book a 'Simple Wedding'? It would take the form of:-

Do you? YES

Do you? YES

OK all done - you are married, just sign here and make the cheque out for £50!

Perhaps VEGAS, but not in the UK.

And a funeral to match!

Respected Contributor

Date of wedding after I receive an offer on my house.  Chris won't marry until I live with him.  Bonkers.  What difference does it make?  Oh yes, @Tanith - I found a form of ceremony!  One side of A4, double-spaced.  Easy peasy.  And of course I'm not having a funeral (at my age, the two occasions could be elided into one!) , so that's easy too.  Just pick up and burn.  Done and er....dusted.....