cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feed the family on a budget

Community Manager

Feed the family on a budget

Hi there Lidlers,

We love discussing inventive ways to make food and money go further, especially with the family in mind. It could be cheaper substitutes for fancy ingredients, making meals from leftovers or even clever cooking methods…

If you have some ideas then go ahead and share them here with other Lidlers – we’re one big family after all!

My Lidl Team
33 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Feed the family on a budget

I often do Stir fry meals - its a great way to use up small amounts of vegetables in the fridge, like celery, cauliflower, brocolli, capsicum etc.

I blanche  cauliflower and broccoli, leave to cool then  cut up an onion, celery adding some garlic and ginger to the vegetables also a couple of spring onions chopped up, sliced capsicum and either thinly sliced Chinese cabbage or bean shoots.  I add Chicken, just a couple of thighs boned and diced then add soya sauce and stock etc then serve on just plain noodles, its not an expensive meal at all and we love itMy chinese Chicken stir fry

Add a Lidl Joy to your Life
Respected Contributor

I'm drooling reading this. Sounds yummy JustJoy.

I tend to buy larger quantities of vegetables when they are in season and then I blanch them and freeze them, this way I know the quality of the frozen veg because some of the pre-packed frozen vegetables tend to have a lot of ice in the bag and not much veg.

When my children were younger money was very tight so I would go to our local market and stock up on potatoes,veg,cheese and mince. I found I could do so much with mince from cottage pie, to chilli to making pies and patties. As long as I bought them their fruit I knew the children were getting all their nutritional requirements.

I used to grow my own herbs and when we moved to a house with a garden I started growing as much fruit and vegetables as I could and got the children involved, they loved it.

I loved baking so I would experiment with all sorts of meals and desserts, its a lot cheaper to make your own.

Freeze leftovers wherever possible don't waste foods.

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Respected Contributor

Ditto. Looks lovely and a great photo.

Eating on a budget.

Dried pasta and rice (keeps for years so make sure they are in your cupboard). Dreid beans are useful as well.

A freezer and microwave (learn how to use them effectively together).

Fruit and veg in season (and buy from Lidl when not).

Use Lidl's weekend meat specials (if you need meat) and freeze it if you don't need it immediately. Acually reducing meat (NOT Avoiding for all you meat lovers) intake is good for the budget.

Grow your own herbs (a single chilli plant, grown indoors, will provide you with all the chillis you need for a year - unless you are eating chilli every day).

We use a slow cooker in the winter, and cook 12 portions of food at a time. We eat one lot and freeze the rest. This can then be interspersed with other slow cooked food or alternative meals.

Most importantly AVOID READY MEALS!

Respected Contributor

Eating on a budget.

If you have plenty of old potatoes try cheese and onion potato cakes. ...

Boil and mash potatoes with milk and butter,  leave to cool. Then add 1or 2 beaten eggs, seasoning,  grated cheese and chopped onion.  Take a large  spoonful of potato, ( I use an ice cream scoop )  then slightly  flatten,  cover in flour and fry both sides in sunflower oil till browned. I can usually make about 12 cakes in  one go.  

Serve with burgers,  sausages,  egg, or anything else you fancy with beans or salad. Very tasty. 

All ingredients can be bought from Lidl.  Woman Happy

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016
Respected Contributor

And what about bubble and squeak?

We always used to have this on Monday with the leftover roast meat from Sunday.

Respected Contributor

Tanith, we always had that on a Monday too!  

Still make it some days ( without the meat though ) have it with Quorn or veggie burgers, fried egg and beans. Quick cheap and easy meal.

Respected Contributor

Another favourite is - Leek lipsmacker. 

Slice and boil 2 - 3 leeks till soft then add to mashed potato, mix well together.  Put into oven proof dish. Make a cheese sauce and pour over mash then top with grated cheese.  Cook in oven till  cheese melted and sauce bubbling.  

Great with garlic bread,  salad,  fruit,  burgers, or sausages. 

Respected Contributor

Use any spare vegetables for a vegetable bake.

Potatoes,  celery,  carrots,  broccoli,  cauliflower, peas, cut, slice or chop in pieces. Boil then simmer till soft,  put in ovenproof dish. Cover with cheese sauce,  top with grated cheese and cook in oven for 30 minutes.  Easy. 

Anonymous
N/A

This leek recipe sounds relish, and leeks were only 94p this week, I bought them even though I still have a dozen out in the garden, not worth lifting them when they are on as a "special".