cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silly question??!!

Respected Contributor

Silly question??!!

Our village surgery is small and we all tend to know one another.  Collecting our pills this morning, I greeted those waiting with a cheery 'good morning' and then found myself asking a fellow I know quite well 'How are you?' Smiley Very Happy  I've always thought, bearing in mind the location, that this is a particularly stupid question to ask but still find myself doing it!!  Anyone else as daft as me?

In a similar vein (clever eh?!!), I find I am now of an age that, when people ask me 'How are you?', I start to tell them!!  Never a good thing!! Smiley Very Happy

27 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: Silly question??!!

Welcome to the club @harryflatters  Woman LOL   

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017 Mincepie Maverick and Rebel roaster
Regular Contributor

We all do it @harryflatters God forbid that we went to see the doctor when we had something wrong with us !
Esteemed Contributor

Working in doctors surgeries for over 20 years this was always a question I heard several times a day, in the waiting room.
If a patient asked me this question @harryflatters I would reply "fine, how are you today?" . More often than not I got the reply "fine" so I usually came back with " in that case what are you doing here?". It always brought a laugh from someone so I brightened someone's day 😃
It's just human nature to be polite, well mainly.
If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it
Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017 C/C;M/M;R/R
Respected Contributor

When I had an abcess on my buttock, removed by surgery, I needed the dressing changed by my local GP nurse. Because sitting on the dressing was sore, I would run to the surgery (summer, so in shorts and t-shirt). When I arrived I was looking healthy and well tanned amongst the broken limbs, eye patches etc. Many of them were wondering why I was there and what was really wrong with me. I had some very strange looks as they moved away from me.

Esteemed Contributor

I can just imagine @Tanith. There were usually the clique of people in our waiting rooms each day. To be honest I think it was more of a social event for them, if someone looked healthier they would be whispering, staring and nudging each other!

I had to set up special surgeries for youngsters because everyone seemed to know everyone in the area. Young people in particular were conscious that if they came to normal surgery someone would know their parents so they were not getting the privacy they should expect.

On busier days I would have to ask people, who were not in the waiting room for pre-scheduled appointments, to leave the premises. You'd be surprised how many people got up and left.
If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it
Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017 C/C;M/M;R/R
Respected Contributor

Remember Areal o Hanlon played thermoman, his wife played a doctors receptionist. There was another receptionist  Mrs Raven, played by Geraldine Mcnulty, can just see you there. @tommiesgirl@harryflatters@SuzyQ@Jade

Respected Contributor

How are you is a question I have learned never to ask, just in case someone decides to tell me. Other peoples ailments are not really high on my list of interests. Obviously I would make an exception for close friends, luckily, I have none.  @harryflatters@tommiesgirl@Tanith@SuzyQ@Jade

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

How DID you get the monicker "niceguy" I wonder!!

Respected Contributor

I got it when tom gave me a telling off . ( I was not alone) I decided therefore that I needed to be nicer, hence the new all sweetness and light me. So glad that you noticed, obviously it was worthwhile. Good to hear from you again, how is hardliner doing these days. @Easyliner@tommiesgirl@harryflatters