Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School days, did this happen to you

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: School days, did this happen to you

Hi @Jade

I'm sure that when you posted this, as a question about whether others have memories of corporal punishment in school, no offence was intended. It's unlikely anyone derives offence from people relating real experiences of corporal punishment. I'm not implying otherwise and we have no current plans to delete your post.

However, the conversation has since moved on to the question of whether corporal punishment in schools might have a place in our society today. This is obviously significantly trickier ground, as this has been a hot button issue in our society since the reports that pre-empted the eventual removal of corporal punishment from schools decades ago.

We're just trying to pre-empt as much as possible and keep the community as inclusive as possible, which I'm hoping everyone can understand. 

Thanks,

Tom

My Lidl Team
Respected Contributor

Thank you for reply  Tom @Lidl and I do agree with you.  

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016
Trusted Contributor

gruner wrote:

Jade wrote:

Hello Tom @Lidl I'm sorry if this may cause offence and that is not what I intended. Please remove the thread if it is a problem. 

Jade

Might be just me Jade but I can't think why a reasoned discussion of a deterrent could offend. I believe in free speech and feel that some areas of society (Universities with their "safe spaces" for example) are becoming oversensitive and opposed to dialogue & debate. I hope the thread stays

I agree. If Lidl/Tom is to become so ridiculously touchy/feely I want no further part in this.

Trusted Contributor

gruner wrote:

Might be just me Jade but I can't think why a reasoned discussion of a deterrent could offend. I believe in free speech and feel that some areas of society (Universities with their "safe spaces" for example) are becoming oversensitive and opposed to dialogue & debate. I hope the thread stays

It's in "Coffee break" after all.

Respected Contributor

Agree.

Where does this end?

Deterrents for speeding (fines and prison), murder, rape, littering, burglary at Lidl stores? It appears that it is NOT the crime nor the deterrent that is the issue, but discussion of the deterrent and the crime.

Also it is NOT a political discussion (certainly not party political) but an emotive discussion - like hanging. Provided it is discussed properly (both sides of the discussion) anything should be a able to be discussed without resorting to a slanging match with personal abuse.

Community Manager

Hi @User1 and @Tanith,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way. It's been standard for us to warn of potential offence for a while and we feel it's a useful tool in our effort to make this is a welcoming environment.

As long term users you will be aware we have had issues in the past on My Lidl with discussions on emotive and political lines.

Regardless of whether you feel it is important to discuss corporal punishment or hanging as a society, it's not something most appropriately discussed on My Lidl. Nor is either discussion something we'd want to see the members engaging with, particularly without first being reminded of our rules.

We think that is fair and hope you understand.

Thank you,

Tom

My Lidl Team
Respected Contributor

Changing the subject. ....  

Screenshot_2017-07-20-18-16-16-1.png

Screenshot_2017-07-20-18-33-01-1.png

Respected Contributor

It's weird,  but the top one works!