cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School days, did this happen to you

Respected Contributor

School days, did this happen to you

Screenshot_2017-07-13-18-26-02-1.png

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017
17 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: School days, did this happen to you

I went to a ghastly mixed skool in Camberley.  That certainly happened to the boys.  I was just put in detention regularly.  No idea why!

Respected Contributor

I never had it either @Duchess but I did have the leather strap once while we were living in Scotland in the 50's. That was defo an 'ouch'  always handed in my homework on time after that!!!!    Woman LOL

Regular Contributor

In primary school I had the cane once (I think it was for talking in class) but only on my hands.

in secondary school I wasn't looking where I was going and accidentally bumped into a teacher.

she shouted and screamed and went to town slapping me on the legs.  She wouldnt stop.  Loking back on it she must have been having a bad day and took it out on me but at the time I was terrified.  She wouldn't have got away with it now of course.

I'll get by with a lidl help from my friends
Trusted Contributor

My secondary education was of the 3 B's variety - boarding, beating and bu***ry! Smiley Very Happy So yes, experienced first two but, thankfully, not the third! @Duchess @Jade @Roz

Respected Contributor

I have mixed feelings about this.

Being at school in the 60's and 70's (primary then a grammar school with 50% boarders and 50% day boys - I was a day boy) the cane was one corporal punishment option. I myself NEVER got any form of corporal punishment, BUT it sure acted as a deterent. There were those who received it regularly, so not a deterent to them, as well as those who received it ONCE, vowing never again.

The issue today is that there is NO deterent, so if a person misbehaves in class what can be done?

Valued Contributor

We need deterrents starting early in life. I'm all in favour of the Singapore model - capital & corporal punishment, you don't get any acid attacks or moped borne robbers there
Community Manager

Hi Lidlers,

This discussion is obviously around what can be a sensitive political issue.

Whilst Coffee Break is a space for off-topic conversation and we are all capable of an intelligent discussion, you are all aware that it is against community rules to post anything offensive. Nothing which is strictly offensive has been said thus far, but as this is a sensitive subject we'd appreciate if we kept discussion of this to a minimum.

Let's make the community as open a place as possible, so everyone can get involved.

Thank you,

Tom,

My Lidl Team
Respected Contributor

Hello Tom @Lidl I'm sorry if this may cause offence and that is not what I intended. Please remove the thread if it is a problem. 

Jade

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Jade wrote:

Hello Tom @Lidl I'm sorry if this may cause offence and that is not what I intended. Please remove the thread if it is a problem. 

Jade

Might be just me Jade but I can't think why a reasoned discussion of a deterrent could offend. I believe in free speech and feel that some areas of society (Universities with their "safe spaces" for example) are becoming oversensitive and opposed to dialogue & debate. I hope the thread stays