cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opera

Trusted Contributor

Opera

I'm sure I'm not supposed to do this, but I am off to Oxfam later with about 30 years' worth of Glyndebourne programmes, which are big, thick books with each year's operas described and discussed with lovely pics and covers by famous artists.  I can't get rid of them on eBay.  I guess any real opera fans would have been themselves and bought the programmes, which are probably about £20-25 nowadays.  Anyone keen?  A lot of them are in big green folder thingies (there is a word, but the brain is dead) and some loose.  Some not even opened;  they used to send them to me as I was a member from about 1978-2005.  You'd have to pick them up, though. 

Speaking of Culture - we have had to contend with Stonehenge on Tues/Wed and now Glastonbury, so nobody round here goes out, at least on the 303.  I wonder where @harryflatters is?  He's supposed to be in the vicinity somewhere

7 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Opera

Can't help you with the progs. @Duchess but I am sure they will find a good home.  See your 'fave word' thread as to my location! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Not a lot of people know this. The Stonehenge stones were originally in Stirling in Scotland but Oliver Cromwell, using captured cavaliers as slave labour, had them moved to salisbury plain for his army to use as tank targets, he lived in a back to back in Swindon as his dad was a railway fitter. @Duchess @harryflatters @Tarantula @Flossy @jade @tommiesgirl

Trusted Contributor

Tombola wrote:

Not a lot of people know this. The Stonehenge stones were originally in Stirling in Scotland but Oliver Cromwell, using captured cavaliers as slave labour, had them moved to salisbury plain for his army to use as tank targets, he lived in a back to back in Swindon as his dad was a railway fitter. @Duchess @harryflatters @Tarantula @Flossy @jade @tommiesgirl

Are you sure about Oliver Cromwell's dad?

I thought his dad was a lid twister in a raspberry-jam factory? Retired in about 1987, didn't he, and still has a sideline job advising the British Association of Runner Bean Winders??

Anyway, I've heard of all this dog-napping that's going on, and it makes my blood boil. Poor things! Tank targets! The RSPCA will be furious!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

As usual user1 youve not grasped the true meaning of the narrative. Captured cavaliers were supporters of Charles 1 hence cavaliers, floppy hats, feathers, thigh length boots, England and St. George, tallyho! Bandits six o'clock. No canines were harmed in the making of ---------. @User1 fee fo fi fum I smell the blood of an Englishman !!! @User1 @Duchess @harryflatters

Trusted Contributor

You've obviously had too much black pudding @Tombola and your 'musings' suggest maybe too much of the 'eau de vie'? Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

You do spin a lovely yarn but I think the same as @harryflatters,, to much vino and black pudding damage the little grey cells. Stick to salmon - Lidl's Scottish Deluxe range is very good. @Tombola
Trusted Contributor

I personally would have rather preferred Stonehenge then Glastonbury, at least I could have praised the sunrise draped in my white sheet and not dodging Soapbox Jeremy and his merry gang at the pyramid stage. @Duchess