Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lidl & Aldi Christmas Sales Slump

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Lidl & Aldi Christmas Sales Slump

Article here

The end of the rise for Aldi and Lidl? Discount supermarkets 'suffer poor Christmas trading because shops look like they've been robbed by a load of schoolkids'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4098880/The-end-rise-Aldi-Lidl-Discount-supermarkets-suffer-...

15 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Lidl & Aldi Christmas Sales Slump

Aldi: 'The claims made by Clive Black, whose firm represents Morrisons, bear no relation to reality.'

- from the article.

We will see.
Valued Contributor

Accolades, congratulations, we are humbled. @User1@gruner

Trusted Contributor

User1 wrote:
Aldi: 'The claims made by Clive Black, whose firm represents Morrisons, bear no relation to reality.'

- from the article.

We will see.

Hm. From Aldi: "total UK sales for December were up 15% on a year earlier".

Trusted Contributor

User1 wrote:

User1 wrote:

- from the article.

We will see.

From Morrison's "Christmas Statement":

"In the nine weeks to 1 January, like-for-like sales excluding fuel were up 2.9 % (up 4.7 % including fuel) , our strongest performance for seven years."

Trusted Contributor

User1 wrote:

User1 wrote:

User1 wrote:

- from the article.

We will see.

From Morrison's "Christmas Statement":

"In the nine weeks to 1 January, like-for-like sales excluding fuel were up 2.9 % (up 4.7 % including fuel) , our strongest performance for seven years."

"The British arm of German discount supermarket Lidl said on Wednesday it had enjoyed its most successful Christmas trading period ever, with sales on a year-on-year basis up 10 percent in December" - Reuters.

Edit: This after the article in the "Daily Mail online" that said:

"According to the Times, stockbroker Shore Capital estimated Lidl's Christmas sales dropped by four per cent year-on-year while Aldi's stayed flat. Clive Black, head of research at the firm, told the paper 'overtrading' was the cause alongside 'understaffed' shops that 'looked like they've been robbed by a load of school kids'."

So, I reckon Lidl is entitled to blow a loud raspberry at those people!

Valued Contributor

Well spotted @gruner What an absolute load of nonsense and contradiction, totally unworthy of any journalistic merit, a real non-story. Real news must be very short or hard to find. Smiley Happy as @User1 says, "no relation to reality"

If you waste your time talking to the people who don’t listen, then join our forum
Respected Contributor

Well I live in Plymouth and can honestly say none of the 7 Lidl stores in this City have any resemblance to the Daily Mail article.

I don't know any supermarket that has completely tidy shelves or tills with only one customer in a queue at all times and if they say differently then its a fabrication. I know lots of stores where things are strewn all over the place because they have been busy or had a sale but then the press states that's 'good business'.

If I try to find a restaurant and I see one that is empty I don't use it because I wonder why they have no customers, I am encouraged by the busier restaurants because I think someone must have got it right. Lots of people don't eat in bad food establishments.

The same applies to supermarkets, why would I go to a store that has enough staff to serve all its customers because they charge such extortionate amounts for the same goods. 

I'd rather pay for good value, better atmosphere and I don't think of my visits to Lidl as shopping but more of an outing, an all round enjoyable experience.

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Trusted Contributor

None of the Lidl stores I frequent look like the ones in the picture. I can't comment on Aldi but as far as I remember they are too dark and gloomy to see anything clearly! I was hearing some Lidl customers say the same thing to the Lidl cashier once when I was queueing!

incidentally I completed the online Aldi store operative application form and was rejected after answering the situational judgement questions. I considered this result a reflection on why I wouldn't want to work or shop at Aldi! As for working at Lidl, the cashiers tell me they end up spending all their wages there as there is too much temptation! They work hard and I hope their efforts are recognised and rewarded.

For me it is Lidl all the way. Except for the watercress. Have I mentioned this before? 🤔

Rage and Love
Valued Contributor

Yes I agree with every word in your post. I get every thing from Lidl except Watercress (please take note, Lidl) and Coffee filter bags N0 4 and French puy lentils. @Stixxee