Lidl CEO Resigns

11 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: Lidl CEO Resigns

Smiley Surprised

Respected Contributor

I read this too @gruner.

I think Lidl need to get their house in order before it has an impact throughout all the ranks. If not they will find it affecting the business overall  Smiley Sad  Smiley Sad

Interesting sales figures too Smiley Happy

Jesper Højer has been with the company for a long time, so that's a good start.

Hopefully he will have great success in his new position and having a change of CEO with such history, will have a long term positive impact on the business as a whole Smiley Happy

Good luck Jesper Højer. 

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017
Respected Contributor

I too say this. It all depends on what the strategic disagreements were. If the exiting CEO wanted to expand beyong what Lidl currently do and the incoming one wanted to take things slowly then that should be good. If on the other hand it was vice-versa then perhaps less good.

We only tend to get reports of news rather than the whole story (see Trump et al.). I believe that the Lidl CEO has overall strategic views as his focus, where as each country has a Chief Operating Officer to determine what is best for Lild in that country. Therefore there may not be a negative effect on staff here in the UK. The negative effect may be limited to Head Office of Lidl rather than the individual countries. However, negative stories do affect staff.

With publicly list companies it is interesting to look at the share price when a COO or CEO resigns. If the old CEO was good and their is uncertainty about the incoming CEO, the share price will drop (and sometimes a long way). Whereas if the old CEO made some dreadful mistakes (so the share price has already dropped and not recovered) and the new CEO looks to have vision then the share price will rise (and sometimes rocket).

Good luck to him.

Will @Lidl respond to this thread I wonder? Not just a report that the CEO has resigned (we know that because we have this thread), but a vison and impact statement.

Trusted Contributor

I also echo the sentiments expressed regarding the new incoming CEO.  I would have thought, given a little time, that Lidl will issue some sort of further statement regarding the direction they are hoping proceed in.  Being family owned, it's a shame that presumably we won't be able to see any indication of the 'markets' view in terms of a rising/falling share price.  Would have been interesting!  I guess we shall just have to wait and see.

Trusted Contributor

Well, I'm up for an interview;  anyone want to come too?

Trusted Contributor

Sorry @Duchess the post is already filled - full marks for optimism though Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

You go, not for me, I am enjoying retirement to much. @Duchess
Trusted Contributor

Whatever management changes occur for whatever reason it would be commercial suicide to let it affect the current growth against other supermarkets in the UK.

Waitrose are closing several stores due to what they call challenging trading conditions, one opened less than 4 years ago not too far away from me and has just announced closure, and it was a Co-op before that. The supermarket that is always busy is the Aldi in the middle of town. There is a large Sainsburys well out of town, no idea how that survives, I go in occasionally for odd items but it's always pretty quiet.

Respected Contributor

Have a look at the survey done by which?

Waitrose 74%, M&S 73%, Aldi, Lidl both 72%. ASDA down at 62%.

Lidl (and Aldi) must be doing something right.

I always feel that companies should take little steps when changing policy rather than a big change. AND they should inform their customers and staff.

I wondered for a long time whether Lidl/Aldi should take over Co-op stores. They seem to be the right sort of size for their business as well as being in villages and small towns.

The only time that the big supermarkets (and I still like Carrefour in France) in the UK are really busy is at Christmas. 50 checkouts, only 4 of them filled during the week and only a couple of people waiting. They will have to change.