cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wanted a couple of things!!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Just wanted a couple of things!!

While we were in the area, as Simon had to have his check up regards his cataract operation this morning we dropped into Lidl... well the rest is history - a few things. lol you can never get away with that in such a good store so here are my couple of things - must say it made

Simons day to see that the Christmas Stollan was already on sale!  

P1130377.jpg

Add a Lidl Joy to your Life
23 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: Just wanted a couple of things!!

Lots of nice things there @JustJoy Smiley Happy I'm the only one who likes Stollen so I get it all to myself!  We tried the Deluxe Steak, 'old peculiar' ale and black pudding pies last week and enjoyed them in spite of the odd 'tough' bit!  Haven't seen the venison and merlot pies but will definately buy some when I do!  Hope Simon's op. went well and he's feeling OK today.  I'm still waiting!

Trusted Contributor

I don't talk about it any more but I have the same problem when shopping at Lidl.  So now I write down what I really need and at the bottom of the list I put one word "Specials?"  It covers a multitude of shopping sins. I am already heavy into "Mincepies".  My older son seem to be addicted to them.  For myself, I rummage in the freezer cabinet - Butternut and goats cheese wellingtons or red pepper and feta wellingtons or Moroccan vegetable pies.  They are my favourite pickings because Wednesdays is Pizza day for my son and I hate Pizza with a vengeance.  Last week I bought some new microwave containers.  The old ones went in to the recycling bin. @JustJoy, @harryflatters

Respected Contributor

Rummage in the freezer cabinet, how very dare you. Only yesterday I had to point out to a lady it is important to slide the top back to minimise heat loss. I hope in future you'll be rummaging with your eyes . @Mrsbratwurst@JustJoy@Jade@harryflatters

Trusted Contributor

You cheeky devil, when I rummage, I basically tidy up after other customers who left the shelves in the cabinet in a mess which is annoying to others.  This time offsprings are innocent, it's their parents. @Profssorhaggis

Regular Contributor

As I have just posted @Jade about the apple stolen, I can also say to you @Mrsbratwurst that those pastry items haven't seen the light of day up here either. Shame though as I'd buy them for my 'veggie' husband.
Trusted Contributor

You must have heard or seen the "German Christmas bread " which is Stollen. The original is a yeast based rich fruit and nuts/almonds and seasoned with spice like cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in like a loaf shape.  There are now three variation with apple really yummy and moist or with hazelnut or with poppy seeds.

The vegetable pastries are usually in the freezer cabinets above the chest freezers. In our Lidl in Kitts Green, Birmingham there is quite a big selection.

There are two different types of nut roasts and very nice, ask @Jade and in the cabinets you can find Morrocan pies, 3 different types wellingtons -butternut, red pepper, and mushroom.  Two per pack and when they are cooked they seem to nearly double in size, very filling and very tasty.  I am not a vegetarian but I am a bit of a foody and love a change. @SuzyQ, @Jade

Respected Contributor

As @Mrsbratwurst says, the nut roasts are delicious @SuzyQ they are as good as the ones I make. Even to the point of my family thinking I had made the Lidl ones..... And the items below are very tasty too.    20180821_102640.jpg

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017 Mincepie Maverick and Rebel roaster
Regular Contributor

Thanks @Mrsbratwurst and @Jade I think that you have answered my query about the pies and stollen varieties.

My local store is one of the older ones - I have been shopping there for 19 years this month -and it is still in the original format.  I assume that these items are just a few of the products that we don't have the space to sell in ours but they are wanting to build a super sized one at the other end of town but are having trouble getting the plans through our local council.  Can't see the problem myself as at present the land they have chosen is an eyesore so anything will be an improvement.   Anyway, it looks like I will have to wait until it is built before I can get my hands on the frozen pies and another 12 months until the Stollen varieties appear !

My mouth is watering thinking about the apple stolen, I have bought the marzipan and the all butter varieties many times over the years and we have always enjoyed them very much.  I also like the Pannetone but I think it is very expensive for what it is and how long it lasts or could t be that we are just greedy?

Regular Contributor

@JustJoy  -  The "Le Bleu" is a really nice cheese, based on having bought one last week and having eaten it too.

We use quite a lot of Chia seeds and so I am curious to know please what you use yours for?

Stollen is lovely too but, for me, not this one because it is made with Glucose-Fructose Syrup and that seems to be really not good for a body. Unfortunately, the GFS is in all of Lidl's German Christmas baked goods and so are totally off my menu, sad really as it is the one time of the year that I eat shop-bought "cake".

In days of old, so we are told, whilst Lidl waited to be invented.
People had but bread and salt and so lived malcontented.