cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

John Lewis removes Girl and Boy labels from childrens clothes

Valued Contributor

John Lewis removes Girl and Boy labels from childrens clothes

Can we still shop by gender label at Lidl ?

9 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: John Lewis removes Girl and Boy labels from childrens clothes

I am very happy to hear that.

(NB we swore by J.Lewis back to school PE kit & trousers etc, they saw her through much without need for replacement through wearing out, ..esp the green p.e. shorts).

"I can't wear that it's for boys" ..makes me cringe, ..kid you can be who or whatever you want to be & dress how you darn well like. (less indoctrination from birth please parents / relatives please).

We asked our daughter from an early age, what did she like, the colour feel, form of,..she let us know, as a result a right eclectic mix, interesting stuff, however as a result the indoctrinated little girls at her infant & junior school didn't want to know her because she didn't look (nor act) therefore, like them, ...sad that!

It is really insulting to be defined in such a manner, my daughter lived an early active lifestyle of rough & tumble often in the snow, often with big dogs, in the countryside.

Therefore she was not in twee little outfits nor t-shirts from mothercare in bright pink that inferred that as a girl (baby) she should be out on shopping spree's ,nor  a "pink princess" ..yes she was often taken for a boy as a baby / toddler, ..& we thanked the gods for the then physical store "pumpkin patch" 

She dresses appropriately for the weather, for the environment & circumstance,... not to "sparkle" Smiley Frustrated nor to be mere "chattel" 

I want my now 13 year old daughter to be taken seriously in a very mysogynistic world & many vendors marketing from an early age really doesn't help.

Respected Contributor

Well I am all for children being allowed choice but I do think this has taken political correctness too far. Both my sons had pushchairs and dolls, both got A* for food technology and both do the majority of household chores at home. Neither were forced to wear blue and they seem to have grown up ok.

We do have to remember that their are physical differences with boys and girls! We can never be the 'same' however we dress it up.

I am not impressed by John Lewis and hope other stores do not feel brow beaten in to following them.

Frequent Contributor

Do we really require an actual label to say boys / girls clothing to differentiate what is for whom!? ..no & that is precisely what makes it stupid, it is also quite possibly inferring that the person (adult) choosing them is clueless & needs clear guidance. 

Do I wear a kilt or a dress? If I wear a kilt (no tartan) by the gay designer Jean Paul Gaultier ..does that make it more dress than kilt? ..perceptions abound, it doesn't make them right necessarily.

My nipper had to endure taunts from both stupid girls & boys precisely because she didn't 100% fit either the girly box nor the boys, ..the labels on clothes apply labels in life thats the reality.

I taught my daughter to run from an early age (breathing, pace, distance) she used to beat kids on laps & duration, ..boys used to get cross because their "manliness" was in question .."beaten by a girl" ..girls said she shouldn't run!

Teachers, adults who should have known better, were saying she ought to "try to be more ladylike & join in with more girls activities for female acceptance" ..she didn't want to, she hated the  disney / nickelodeon channel taught sniping, & doll role play that went with it a lot of the time, & in another country (like Canada) she was like many of the kids, ski-ing training, toughing it out in all weathers, hardly a "pink princess" more an attitude of wear sensible clothes frostbite isn't fashionable.

It got so bad that she didn't want to go to school by th time she was in juniors, ..thankfully she had enough sense to leave the pig ignorance behind & ask to try another school after finishing juniors, ..thankfully kids are often less judgemental & self aware by that age, beginning to see the world through their own eyes, clearly her level of self awareness was a few years ahead of the kids she was initially schooled with.

So labels !? yeah, lose them!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I agree with @mrsblazer.

Clothing is different for boys and girls so why not label it accordingly. Buttons are placed differently, zips (should) be different, in fact girls often wear slip on trousers and there are other differences that boys would not like anymore than girls would like about clothing. 

Some clothing is Unisex and is marked accordingly, but other than that why not label items to make life easier for ourselves.

You mentioned kilts @Mr__Gus, I don't think many boys would like to wear pleated skirts or check summer dresses. Kilts are more of a tradition than just a gender issue but then even those are labelled according to gender in some of the stores I visited in Scotland recently.

When I was younger I was brought up to do as I am told, we would never dare moan and groan if we didn't have the latest shoes, trainers, bags etc. 

Today it seems the 'in thing', I have seen children as young as 6 years old having tantrums, shouting at parents or siblings, even swearing at parents while in the shops because they cannot have something in a particular style, colour etc. I was grateful to be having new when I was younger so I never complained. I appreciated the fact that my parents worked hard for the money to buy us things. Unfortunately not many children appreciate the value of money today Smiley Sad

When children reach their teenage years they seem to be even worse these days. Labels are important, let alone gender correct styling. Girls want to be able to wear their short skirts (that I would class as a wide belt), great big heels, boys want to wear a pot of gel on their hair and the piercing choices well don't get me started there.

Having said that no child should go through taunts because of who or what they are, that is another thing completely. Something I detest and is completely different, its BULLYING and should not be tolerated on any level in my opinion.

I don't think the labelling infers the adult is unaware but more for the benefit of the child these days. 

If shoes can be labelled as men's, boys, ladies, girls then why not other clothing items?

I think it helps make shopping easier. If all clothing was just put together I could spend ages finding the right style, checking the buttons etc. I find it so much easier to head for the sign telling me where I will find the 'Girls' or 'Boys' items.

When I was in Grammar school we were told we were being taught to be young ladies, as well as being given the opportunity for the best education. I wonder how many schools say that today. 

Children should be taught to be able to present themselves correctly in various walks of life. They should be able to eat an eight course meal knowing which cutlery is appropriate foe each course. They should be taught how to present themselves in a job interview as well as in a meeting with their peers. 

Girls and boys should be taught equally, they should also be taught 'its not about the winning, but the taking part that matters'

Both my children wore and had what we could afford, as teenagers they did start asking for the more expensive, branded clothing so I told them if they wanted the more expensive items they had to get a weekend job and save, so they could pay the extra costs. They both got jobs but they found they had more important things they wanted to do with their money.

My son can cook, clean, plaster walls, dig the garden and even put flowers in a vase. My daughter is a qualified referee for male and female football teams, she is a good cook, she can decorate, dig the allotment and do all the jobs she needs to do to take care of her home and children.

Fortunately or unfortunately all things are specified by gender, that's just the way it is. If John Lewis decides to remove gender labels that's their choice. It would impact my choice for shopping, it would not be my first choice. These days we get the majority of the children's clothes in Lidl anyway but I want my shopping to be a good experience not an ordeal so the easier the stores can make it for me as a consumer the better. Smiley Happy

Personally I think labels just make life easier, I am blessed with common sense but not twice as much time because I need to search for things suitable for my son or daughter.

Its the job of adults to teach the next generation common sense, respect, and how to build up their own self esteem. On top of this they need the best education they can get and happiness.

Life is not easy so why shouldn't it be the responsibility of businesses as well as families to make life's basic things as easy as we can for them, even if that does mean labelling!

I wonder if John Lewis have also removed their gender labels on their staff pay packets and enabling all staff to be paid the same amount equally!!!

Well that's my soap box bit for now, so I better stop but I hope I have not offended anyone I just wanted to share my views as I was taught and as I have learned through life experience Smiley Happy

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it
Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017
Respected Contributor

AND I bet they (as well as other shops) have men's/women's clothing on different floors and so the escalators have signs pointing to gender specific areas. PC gone crazy.

Frequent Contributor

The kilt originally was just wound cloth from a bolt or loomed piece.

In more recent times cut differently because it is often "off the rack" to sell to passing trade rather than say we can fit & supply in "x" days / weeks.

The wetsuits progression (O'neill 52) was one of the first to cut according to shape for the benefit of movement in the sport, & thank goodness they did, as change would have come very slowly otherwise, for that reason I can understand rangefor him vs her, 

The Gaultier kilt was unisex, though favoured by men becaue of the time & the fact that as a Frenchman (kilts also) & a designer it was a show piece, he was on tv a lot in it, ..frankly the material was thin, grey, & poorly finished when I inspected it.

Thank goodness many hats are based on head size not labels. (except for the obviously femenine millinery).

One of my favourite shirts was a a donna karen, it fit, the pattern was good, the material excellent, apart from a label saying DK no-one ever knew, ..& why should it matter in the fist place?  ..I saw it in a mall in the USA ..it was great I was a big burly male but so what? "labels". 

Trusted Contributor

Well said @tommiesgirl

Add a Lidl Joy to your Life
Valued Contributor

Bishop Llandaff Church in Wales High School has spent £20000 on gender neutral toilets.

A disgraceful abuse of taxpayers money 😤

Trusted Contributor

Having experienced their atrocious customer service and read the reviews on Trust Pilot I wonder if their efforts might be invested in the wrong area. 

Sadly a shop I will avoid.

Rage and Love