cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idea for reducing plastic bags in Lidl?

New Contributor

Idea for reducing plastic bags in Lidl?

I have been meaning to come on and say this for some time, but the recent television talk about plastic has reminded me to do so.

When selecting fresh fruit and vegetables could we please have paper bags rather than the clear plastic ones? Not see through I know but a minor inconvenience for the gain.

37 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: Idea for reducing plastic bags in Lidl?

Brilliant, and simple, @Lel1.  I wonder also why one never sees string bags any more; my mother had several and they took up no room when empty. I'll collect my Nobel Prize tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

Great idea. How about it @Lidl?

Occasional Contributor

Maybe it's see through plastic not for our convenience but to stop people slipping cheaper fruit into the bags and then putting them through as something else at the checkout.

Contributor

@Lel1 paper bags in my opion are far better than plastic as the plastic holds in the moisture and turns the veg mouldy, i forgot to take brocoli out its plastic wrap and a few days later what was once a nice green colour turned nearly yellow and went to my compost bin along with the blackened carrots, back in the day milk bottles were glass and went back to the dairy to be reused, sometimes the so called progress is way off mark

Respected Contributor

Who remembers recycling all lemonade and beer bottles back in the day? We used to take them back to the pub at the end of our road to get a few pennies in return.  

Screenshot_2018-01-12-18-34-48-1.png

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017 Mincepie Maverick and Rebel roaster
New Contributor

Oh the cider bottles I returned !!!!

Respected Contributor

@Jade When my husband was at school he did a part time job working for Corona. He would go around the estates on the Corona lorry that delivered things like Coke, Lemonade, Raspberryade, Dandelion Burdock etc to homes. 

My husbands job was to collect the empty bottles and give back the deposits to customers. He often earned quite a bit extra because the customers would tell him to keep the deposits for himself after carrying the crates to and from the lorry.

When we went to Amsterdam we went into a local supermarket and as you walked in the door there was a recycling area. 

Customers put bottles in the relevant areas, plastic went in another and tins went in another etc. Each time the customer deposited their items the machine issued a coupon for a kind of refund, these coupons were taken as part payment towards customer shopping.

It was really popular and a great idea in my opinion.

I agree with the use of paper bags @Lel1 as I think plastic makes a lot of foods sweat and so they don't keep so well. I always repack my shopping when I get home anyway.

I always liked the idea of cardboard boxes when we did large shopping trips as well, the boxes didn't have to be large but big enough to pack things in glass etc as it was a lot safer.

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it
Super Lidler Class of 2016/2017 C/C;M/M;R/R
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Sorry to but in but the Juice man i can remember these days i think the one that came round us was bon accord! Its ashame so much of these services are now non existant i remember we had a butcher van, chippy van, ice cream van, milk man now your lucky if we get a ice cream van around us!

Kind Regards
Richard
Respected Contributor

@richardk7127 do not apologise for 'butting in' just join in any chat wherever you like. We welcome all members to have their say and don't worry if we go off topic at times in the same thread. We often go off theme as one word can lead to something totally different....  Woman LOL  

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017 Mincepie Maverick and Rebel roaster