cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flowers- what a disappointment!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Flowers- what a disappointment!!

I never thought I would be writing this but I am really disappointed with the standard of Lidl flowers over the past week or so.

Firstly I bought my usual Lilies last week and they were nearly dead by yesterday. The leaves felt quite dry compared to normal but I wondered if they had just been too warm where they were kept in the store, but none of my usual tricks perked them up. In fact only 4 of the heads opened before they all started to go a horrible creamy/brown colour and fell.

I have never had this problem, they usually last for weeks and smell wonderful right through.

I know all the stores were bound to be busy because of Valentines Day so Lidl are not the exception. I did notice their roses were not the cheapest this year but the quality of the ones we saw in our store yesterday was really disappointing, they were all open and falling already.

We went in early this morning to buy some ordinary flowers, as we do every year, to take to the cemetery for our son.

I usually buy a couple of large bunches and mix some roses with them for the baby garden and I have a basket of yellow flowers made up for the Remembrance room.

The amount of flowers for sale when our Lidl store opened this morning was really low which was a surprise, the pots are usually full when we go in (even if it is only for the first hour) but they didn't seem to have half as many flowers as a normal day let alone Valentine Day.

There were no Rose and Lily bouquets for the past 2 days (in any of our Lidl stores) and no Tulip bouquets in our local store either.

As they have been advertised, with Valentine's Day being on a Tuesday I did expect to find a fresh delivery of at least some of the advertised bouquet's yesterday.

My husband drove around all our stores, just before 8am yesterday morning he started the rounds, they were all the same. There were no queues for any of the stores or flowers at that time of the day and when he asked the answer was the same throughout, 'sorry we've sold out. What is there is all we have now'. 

I don't know if it is down to the climate but the flowers I did buy had mainly Chrysanthemums in them and when I took them out of the wrapping there were several rotten heads fallen in the wrappers. They had obviously been there for a while or else the flowers have not been kept properly because the stems inside the wrapping (which cannot be seen unless you take them all out) were going mouldy, they were really smelly.too and not in a good way Smiley Sad

I am obviously going to contact CS but has anyone else noticed the way the flowers standards seem to have gone down hill over the past couple of weeks?

I have flowers most weeks, thanks to my Hubby who always gets them in Lidl, and they are usually fresh and last for weeks. The same applies all year round, every year for the past 3 years at least but this is a first for me.....and hopefully a last!

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
14 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Flowers- what a disappointment!!

I was given a £3 bunch the other week which are still looking lovely. @tommiesgirl

Don't usually have flowers but would have these ones again, they look lovely,

maybe a one off?  Today flowers were selling well everywhere for some reason!

Rage and Love
Respected Contributor

I agree the flowers in Lidl are usual amazing and I am always bragging about them (without having to move to the Highlands @Tombola)  that's why the last few bunches are such a shock.

I don't know if you remember last summer when @Justjoy and I were posting our beautiful displays, @Justjoy was using Lidl flowers for the church displays as well

As you say @Stixxee and @Tombola the flowers are so fresh and beautiful they last for weeks, I have a vase in each room showing off my sprays, I just love to see flowers because they help brighten the day.

I hope they go back to their usual standards soon.

@Justjoy we miss you x x          @Tombola I love beautiful Scotland but I couldn't live there now, we are spoilt with having so much at this end of the country Smiley Happy

I am a born and bred Plymothian, a true Janner and proud of it  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Can't say I have been anything less than delighted with lidl flowers, on our window ledge are two week old carnations looking blooming lovely, and just last night I posted in praise of their lovely daffs, perhaps you need to move to the highlands, where every Lidl helps. @tommiesgirl @Lidl

Respected Contributor

So sad TG. as others have said, and indeed you have als onoted, Lidl flowers are perhaps some of the best and longest lasting.

It may be due to how they have been stored on the long journey from the production area. Maybe slightly damp before being put into a nitrogen rich environment to stop growth and mould. If the label states 5+ days, then it may just be one of those things, but otherwise, as we always say, a quick call to CS should provide some assistance.

Trusted Contributor

Ha! @tommiesgirl - was going to write this anyway....

I bought Chris some tulips and me some white roses last week, poss. Thursday.  Tulips are fine, but my roses are in the bin.  Was going to photograph them, but, hey, £2.09 - I guess if they last a day, it's good.  Less than a prawn sandwich, as somebody once said.  Still, not good.  Glad I didn't give them to anyone else.  As if!  Woman Happy

Contributor

I have always bought Lidls flowers you get such a large bunch for your money, they are so good I have even bought them and made arrangements for funerals that I have been too. When you compare what you would pay in a florist there is no comparison and I always have found they last a long time, I always put a bit of sugar in the water which seems to make them last longer. They make a lovely gift too

Contributor

flowers are not the only dissappointing thing sweet ,ive been up every day to henderson place store the shelves are empty the freezer sections are practically empty when are they going to start filling the shelves back up ,wolesley road store the same empty !!!!!!!!!!!! come on staff pull your finger out 

Community Manager

Hi @tommiesgirl

We are sorry to hear about this as we know how much you love flowers Smiley Happy

However, thank you for your feedback. We have passed this on to the relevant departments. 

Best wishes, 

My Lidl Team

My Lidl Team
Respected Contributor

Thank you for your response @Lidl, I am so grateful you have referred this on as it affects a lot of us when we can't get the beautiful flowers Lidl usually have.

@louloubelle I haven't noticed the empty shelves myself, well except for some of the specials, they seem to vanish so quickly in our stores don't they.

I did pop into the Wolseley Road store last Saturday and there was plenty of everything except staff Smiley Sad

It was busy but there was no one in the bakery, where you have to ask for the tongs because they have all been removed . Also only 2 till were manned, even though it was very busy. 

I think we need to start going shopping together @louloubelle and perhaps we will get what we need between us Smiley Happy

Have you tried the new superstore at Plympton? @louloubelle, its so airy, bright and well laid out.