cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collision at sea this morning

Respected Contributor

Collision at sea this morning

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:139.0/centery:34.5/zoom:11

Not sure if this will shew, but this is what the container ship did before colliding with USS Fitzgerald!!

No, it didn't work.  Shame.  However, if you go to that website and serach (on the left bar) ACX Crystal and follow its track backwards from port, where it is now, you will see some marvellous knitting it did in the ocean for apparently no reason... weird.

Oh I got to it before the Beeb did - this is their page  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40310563

8 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Collision at sea this morning

@Duchess  - really wierd antics.

But how did you find it?  I thought you always claim to be a technophobe?

Flossy

Image result for computer expert cake

Super Lidler Class of 2016 and 2017 and a Mince Pie Maverick
Respected Contributor

I just typed in "maritime tracking" and found a helpful site.  Jolly good for tracking your cruise ship when she's not busy looking after you/me/us!

I am the opposite of a technophobe, @Flossy - I'm a major-league geek;  teach IT stuff and fix computers.  I am online practically 24/7, which irritates everyone I know!  Shame, really......

Trusted Contributor

Sorry @Duchess  - brain obviously not in gear yesterday - blame it on the heat - too hot for me - temp was 30deg here.

Of course I know that you are our tame 'geek' sorry. 

I sometimes log into the air traffic tracking site too.  Must be the geek in me - thought I'd gotten away from all that.  Before I retired I too was a bit of a geek - computer training and sales etc. Started out in the 'old' days before even paper tape - no screens just card readers into massive machines that took fork lift trucks to move!  Over the past few years I have gotten involved less and less with my computers.  Do you think they will ever bring back Windows 3.14 - my favourite - you could do almost anything - so easy - no gimmicks.....moan, moan, moan.....over now....

Flossy

Respected Contributor

Geeks rule, @Flossy!  I worked at IBM in the 60s - did I say that already?  when computers were whole rooms.  The ground floor in Chiswick was all System 370 if I remember rightly.  I still have a heap of orange and pink punch cards, without the holes.  They do sell on eBay, but don't think I can be bovvered;  they are good for shopping lists.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/253287/windows/windows-3-1-twenty-years-later.html

Nice article.   I bet there's somewhere you can download it, if you feel like it!  Oh, I'm on a mission now!  My hospital, where I started in IT proper, was a Beta site and we practically genuflected when the guys from MS turned up to install and show us how it worked.  I started on the help desk working in DOS for goodness sake! 

Trying to PM you and it says you've been removed from the "send to" list.  All I was asking was where you worked in the olden days?  London?

Trusted Contributor

Duchess wrote:

Trying to PM you and it says you've been removed from the "send to" list.  All I was asking was where you worked in the olden days?  London?

@Duchess   I just tried to PM you too and it also says that you have been removed from the send to list?

@Lidl   Hi,  what's going on?  Why can't we use the PMs??

Community Manager

Hi @Duchess and @Flossy,

Could either of you send us a message with a screenshot of the error message you received when you tried to send each other messages?

Thanks,

My Lidl Team
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Lidl wrote:

Hi @Duchess and @Flossy,

Could either of you send us a message with a screenshot of the error message you received when you tried to send each other messages?

Thanks,

Hello @Lidl  (hangs head in shame)  

Thank you for your speedy reply.  Er ... I am very sorry to have bothered you.  It was a simple mistake on my part.  

I ( actually @Duchess and me ) (that's just me trying to spread the blame around) tried to send private messages and couldn't.  The problem was that we tried to use the @ sign before each others names not realizing that it was not necessary all we had to do was type Duchess or Flossy.

It all works fine now.  Perhaps this information might be of use to other Lidlers.  (That's me, again, trying to make the best of the situation)

Sorry 

Flossy

Image result for humble pie cake

Respected Contributor

@Flossy @Duchess you're not alone in doing that.   I did it the other day too.... easy mistake to make though.  Woman Wink 

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!
Super Lidler of Class 2016 / 2017