Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Unwanted Christmas Gifts

[ Edited ]

Sometimes we get gifts we cannot make use of, have allergies to, are not our preferred brands or we just have too many or just don't want them.

We don't want to hurt people feelings so we accept them gratefully and end up storing them until they are no longer any good etc.

If you have any items like books it is worth considering donating them to hospitals, care homes or schools (the ones who help with Adult education).

You can always donate your unwanted gifts to charity shops, put them on 'Freecycle' or you could try to sell them and make some money to replace the gift with something you can make use of.

Here are some ideas that may help:

• Car Boot Sale: If you have enough items to get rid of you could sell them at a Car Boot Sale. Just put the gifts together with any other unwanted items you want to get rid of. You could pack up a flask, spend a few hours selling your goods and come home with the money to buy something you have been wanting for ages or put it towards going somewhere or doing something different.

• Music Magpie: I have frequently sold items on Music Magpie and its very straightforward. They buy things like DVD's, CD'S, Phones, Games, Books and even some items of clothing. I have sold DVD's that I bought quite cheap and Music Magpie gave me more than the purchase price.                                                                                                                                                                   Games usually sell well especially anything that it unusual  or unique, and its worth checking their site this month as I believe they are buying other unwanted Christmas gifts.                                                                                                                             If you go to their site and put in bar codes etc you will see how much they will pay you. This price can vary slightly when they receive the goods if they are not as described or better than described.                                                                                         Its just a case of packing up the items, printing off a label and entering the information they tell you to in/on your parcel. Postage is free I believe and Music Magpie will pay you the same day they receive your parcel
  • Amazon:  You can sell things like unwanted Books. If you download their 'Seller App' you can scan the book's barcode and it will give you a rough idea of how much the book has sold for recently on their site. Then the book is listed and it's up to you whether you want to send it. Check out the details on the Amazon site, its more straightforward than I have explained I think.

There are some other sites that buy books, Lego, games etc. A couple that come to mind are 'Zapper' and 'We buy books'. If you check out their details online you will see that they have slightly different methods to each other and Amazon, but again they are not difficult processes.

• Gumtree: If you have items that may be too expensive (because of their size) to post then think about using Gumtree, where you can include the cost of moving items to the price you want for your item. The other option available on Gumtree is that the buyer collects the item from you so you don't need to worry about shipping/postal costs. The buyer pays on collection of the item.
  • Facebook: I don't use Facebook personally but my sister in law tells me she uses a buying and selling system available through Facebook, so that may be worth checking.

• eBay: This seems to be one of the most popular sites for buying and selling, so if you are a user of eBay then check it out to see if they have any special  'Unwanted Christmas Gift' ideas or programmes that may be of interest to you. I believe you can list as many as 20 items a month on eBay.

• Vouchers: Even vouchers that are not suitable for you can be sold. Sites like 'Zeek' purchase unwanted gift vouchers. You scan a photo of your voucher to them but they do not give the face value of your voucher, I believe they take 10% of the voucher value for their costs. I know its not what we would prefer but anything is better than leaving the voucher tucked away until the date goes on it and the whole amount of the value has gone to waste.

• Recycling: If you have a gift set or something you know could be of use for someone, consider recycling it. For example should you receive an unwanted gift set you could remove it from its packaging,add other items like a book, some socks, or an apron or a diary. All the sort of things you think someone would like, you could then place them in a box or basket and wrap the entire package with some clear paper and put a bow around it.  A bit like a gift hamper.                                                               You then have something you could give as a gift, a hamper you could sell or even a hamper to donate to a charity sale or a school sale etc.

A reminder to be careful when selling items or putting information online. DO NOT give your banking details or address details without checking people / sites are legitimate, its not worth it.

Remember to be careful you are not being 'conned'. Don't sell something worth £5, pay £3 postage and then get nothing because the small print says 'the company has a £2 admin charge as standard for each purchase'.

Its worth having a separate email address for businesses to contact you, so if they are not legitimate they won't have access to other important information and you can block them if necessary.

If someone is coming to collect items arrange it when you are not alone and don't hand anything over before you have received the cash,

Please be extra vigilant when buying and selling online or to strangers. Stay SAFE. If something sounds too good to be true it probably is.

If your luck isn't what it could be put a 'P' before it .

Super Lidler Class of 2016
Trusted Contributor

Re: Unwanted Christmas Gifts

I was lucky this year @tommiesgirl.  I received some money towards a portable fireplace and a very large Cadburys fruit and nut bar which was very much wanted and enjoyed! 

I might add to your list that any unwanted Cadburys fruit and nut bars be sent to me! 👍🏼

Rage and Love
Respected Contributor

Providing that they were not incredibly expensive, just take them to a charity shop and let others benefit.

Respected Contributor

Fortunitely I didn't have that problem @tommiesgirl  as my family know just what I like. So I'm happy with whatever they give.  Woman Happy

If you don't ask, you will never know the answer!

Super Lidler of Class 2016
Respected Contributor

I was lucky as well @Jade but my sister is one of those who is difficult to please.
She had some things she was not grateful for (she can be like that unfortunately @Jade) and was getting rid of them ....in the bin!

I liberated them and sent them to the charity shop locally but it made me think of some other ideas I decided to share.

I realised my paragraphs are not laid out properly, sorry to anyone who has a bit of a thing about dreadful Grammar Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Lots of nice ideas there @tommiesgirl - portable fireplace? @Stixxee that must be tricky to get in the car, especially when it's hot! I can't quite visualise what one of them is!!Smiley Frustrated think I saw those v large choccie bars though!  Didn't get one!Smiley Sad if we have unwanted items (and there is a bottle of v sweet white wine on my rack as we speak!!), we put them aside.  Once a year, our village joins in the 'giant' McMillan coffee morning and a raffle is part of the money raising effort.  We always try and go and we donate all our unwanted items to the raffle - hope someone likes sweet white wine!!

Trusted Contributor

@harryflatters Well, to be honest I was going to get a Calor gas fire but changed my mind. Am debating whether to get an electric stove (woodburner style)

I really just got money and the large fruit and nut bar but wanted to assign the money to an item. 😏

Quite partial to to a good sweet wine. We are not talking lambrini.

Rage and Love
Trusted Contributor

Stixxee wrote:

@harryflatters Well, to be honest I was going to get a Calor gas fire but changed my mind. Am debating whether to get an electric stove (woodburner style)

I really just got money and the large fruit and nut bar but wanted to assign the money to an item. 😏

Quite partial to to a good sweet wine. We are not talking lambrini.

Lambrini!!  Glad you don't @Stixxee I felt sure you were better than that! Smiley Happy I've seen those woodburner style electric heaters.  They look very nice and wouldn't need gas cylinders chaning.  Whether they are more expensive to run or not I don't know.  Keep warm!

Regular Contributor

@tommiesgirl All very good ideasSmiley Happy, but how do you get rid of the extra weight you put on?Smiley Frustrated

If you waste your time talking to the people who don’t listen, then join our forum
Respected Contributor

@BigAll I have been lucky this year with my weight, I was too busy to over eat or eat wrongly.

I can't imagine you being that badly overweight though @BigAll.

I do tend to buy enough shopping so that I only need to get fresh foods such as bread,milk,  fruit and veg. So when I go to Lidl I tend to avoid any foods that are reduced from the Christmas season, I also avoid most of the other luxury foods that can be seen as 'treats'.

I think if you try to walk to the nearer venues instead of using transport and return to eating plenty of roughage, fruit and vegetables you will soon be the weight you want to be @BigAll

As I have stated before my Dads doctor said he can eat anything but just eat in moderation.

My Dad has always said that he is not overweight just shorter than he should be.  Smiley Happy